The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:50:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help identify this antenna base  (Read 3199 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: May 24, 2015, 12:09:15 AM »

This is some kind of old WWII? antenna base, large-ish maybe 10-12" tall, big ceramic body and three metal legs to be bolted down.

The legs are part of a casting that seems to hold the ceramic in it. Connection to the metal bar on top is made by a bolt on the underside. A mast slips over the top bar apparently. I have never seen the whole thing.

Can anyone suggest what this is from and what the nomenclature might be? The one I have (can't find right now..) has a more rounded top edge profile to the top metal disk part, but there can't be too many kinds of these things.

My sketch is pretty bad, the brown insulator might be convex rather than concave on the sides, but the general idea..

* antenna base.png (13.67 KB, 665x619 - viewed 370 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WB6NVH

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:04:32 AM »

Methinks that sounds like a Premax base, although it looks a little more elongated in the vertical plane than your drawing.  The Premax vertical antenna bases are very robust and were used on PT boats during WWII as well as larger vessels.  Premax went out of the radio antenna business in the 60's and they now make numeric signs for power pole identification (well, somebody has to!)

Geoff
WB6NVH

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:23:18 AM »

My first inclination is "vintage naval fitting", though I can't be more specific.  My experience in ships built in the 60's and later, would be one that have much more convoluted surfaces for better isolation.  bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »

Yes it is taller vertically or not as fat at the bottom. Bad picture but the description seems right. PT boat or naval fitting, seems right due to a few encrustations that have been painted over and over..

I'm wondering if it can support 30-40 Lbs static load vertically. Like a guyed aluminum vertical pipe. I don't want to break it.
The alternative is a pop bottle for a base but that's a bit cheezy.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 09:21:50 AM »

There's a similar version used on ships for a tall aluminum aerial more the size of TV mast. The R-390 family of receivers used them, described as 'whips' by many but they're quite stout. Someone had one on ebay for a long time that had been cut down a bit. The base looked like it would easily handle what you're describing.

I'd guess that flexing would be as much of a concern as overall weight.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »

I know it's all about run what ya brung,  but what about a glastic insulator for the base?

They have some fairly large ones at the electric supply house.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015