The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:43:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Engraved Numbers  (Read 12988 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »

Why would anyone EVER put their SSN on an item or piece of equipment? WTF?

It was the thing to do to guard against stolen property. The police would have an easier time to identify your property. This was a 70's thing

Fred KC4MOP
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »

It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Like macrame belts and long sideburns...

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »

put a piece of tape on part of the number so that it can not be copied --- then take a picture.
cover the last 5 numbers for example... or the first several, etc... easy enough.

_-_-

And then, after you sell it, the new owner can pull off the tape and/or resell the equipment again and new buyer can pull off the tape exposing the SS#.

DOH!!

That is for taking a PHOTOGRAPH to POST here!! So that we can see where it is and what material it is engraved into!!

NOT for SELLING
it.
it says above "---then take a picture."

Ok, good thing we cleared this up!  Roll Eyes

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 11:46:14 PM »

LOL is way over used, but this DID make me laugh out loud. HA!

I got renters insurance years ago when I lived in some sketchy locations. The recommendation was to write down all serial numbers and/or photograph items (especially certain valuables). No mention of SSNs. This approach is still recommended by my homeowners insurance.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Like macrame belts and long sideburns...
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »

My grandmother,  after being with 3 letter 'companies'  for years went into local law enforcement in the 70s.

It was standard procedure for them to actually DO the engraving of SS or DL numbers in LA Mesa,  CA back then.

She still has a few 'artifacts'  with engravings on them.

I can also acts to the aircraft tools having markings on them.   My grandfather worked in skunk works.   ALL his old machinists tools have identifying marks.  Some social security,  some an odd number that meant nothing,  but I'm sure was some type of number issued by either Lockheed (before Martin Murrieta merger)  or CIA given.

His toolbox had a pad of forms for identifying what came out of the box and checklist for what went back in.

Here in the he oilfields,  they monitor all tools,  and even down to the nut and washer level.  And that's for electricians.   I've seen AERA energy shut down an entire project for a single 8-32 bolt that held an inspection cover on.   Good thing,  found in the bottom of a multi million dollar transmission.

Guy that dropped it forged his paperwork,  and was given walking papers on the spot.
--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015