The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:51:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire In the Wire - Literally  (Read 18364 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 07:46:11 PM »

Hang around the plant construction dump. Original suggestion was to make a water tight, humidity dry enclosure with electric drying, a simple resistor using 120 vac.  Also places for good ground to shield. Paint the outside to match the house.

Done all the time commercially. You don't want foam or plastic cases cracking in wx extremes, etc. critters including wasps burrowing in every nook and cranny.

Otherwise build a respectable little wooden, side mounted enclosure complete with adequate ventilation, shingles on its little roof and with nice door for inspection, frequent cleaning, nest and mud wasp removal.    Grin.  Seriously, Nothing wrong with that amd that's why I mentioned k4kyv's at the base of his commercial vertical.

Think about it, the necessary seals, feed-throughs and for G's sake don't build one in an all foam cooler.  Hey, for max cachet, find a period , double walled, interior galvanized Coca Cola cooler. --Would go with the Mail Pouch sign on the barn. Neighbors would ooh and ahh over your Cool Tuna.

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »

I was thinking of the plastic ones that hold up a little better with hinged lids.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 10:37:31 PM »

industrial surplus houses sometimes have big NEMA rated enclosures but none are as cheap as an ice cooler. Free as junk from construction would be. Note there are several ratings for NEMA and not all are water proof.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »

NEMA 1 - NO
NEMA 3R - RAINPROOF
NEMA 4X - HOSEDOWN

I never need to spec anything more stringent than 4X except for the occasional explosion-proof devices; those  have all types of subcategories.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015