The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:16:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 FET Class C for 40 meters  (Read 4447 times)
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« on: March 29, 2015, 12:41:58 AM »

I'm thinking about using Steve's 8 FET Class E design that's posted for Class C instead.  I like the idea of simplicity and no tuning involved.  I do realize that there's a loss of power and efficiency by doing this.  Also, the Class E design matches the low FET output impedance to something significantly lower than 50 ohms (by using the Class E output section).  So, my 1:1 output transformer wouldn't be a great match for 50 ohms and power output would suffer.

Attached is a picture of what I've got so far.  I've mounted the heat sinks (1 for each set of 4 FETs).  The L-bracket in the center will hold the N-connector for the analog RF drive.  The one on the right will be the output N-connector.

The plastic piece will hold the 16 ferrite cores for the output transformer, and the connectors on the right are for DC input.  I just placed an order for all the cores I'll need (including the ones for the gate transformers).

I will use 48 vdc for carrier and use a modified Heising circuit just like the one I've built for my lower power solid state rig.  This time though I'll use a really big audio amp.  

Thoughts?

Jon
KA1TDQ

* IMG_0392.JPG (1944.75 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 513 times.)

It’s not just values, it’s business.
VE3ELQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:24:55 AM »

I'm thinking about using Steve's 8 FET Class E design that's posted for Class C instead.  I like the idea of simplicity and no tuning involved.  I do realize that there's a loss of power and efficiency by doing this.  Also, the Class E design matches the low FET output impedance to something significantly lower than 50 ohms (by using the Class E output section).  So, my 1:1 output transformer wouldn't be a great match for 50 ohms and power output would suffer.

Attached is a picture of what I've got so far.  I've mounted the heat sinks (1 for each set of 4 FETs).  The L-bracket in the center will hold the N-connector for the analog RF drive.  The one on the right will be the output N-connector.

The plastic piece will hold the 16 ferrite cores for the output transformer, and the connectors on the right are for DC input.  I just placed an order for all the cores I'll need (including the ones for the gate transformers).

I will use 48 vdc for carrier and use a modified Heising circuit just like the one I've built for my lower power solid state rig.  This time though I'll use a really big audio amp.  

Thoughts?

Jon
KA1TDQ

Jon having spent the winter doing most of what you describe allow me some thoughts on your planned project.
QIX Steves design is excellent and it will work well in Class D. If you use C2M0280120D FETs they switch so fast there is only a small improvement in class E efficiency (less than 5%). However you will still need some serious output filtering for harmonic reduction such as a 6 pole low pass filter, thats 3 inductors, 3 caps, some design work for impedance and probably a bunch of fiddling to get it right.  Or use a series tuned L and variable cap and tune it then its done, and if set just right gives class E.  And FETs are basically switches which work best with square wave drive not analog.  A simple VFOscillator, Flip Flop divider and 74HC14 driver is all you need. I can post a schematic and board layout if you want it.

If you use two FT200-2 cores wound 1:1 for OP transformers they will run cooler and give you the added ability to add or remove a turn or two on the secondaries for the best impedance match.

I have a Peavey 300 Watt Industrial PA amp with a honking big OP transformer with 25 and 70 volt taps.  It makes a great series modulator up to about 200W carrier then runs out of steam and clips. If you do this it will work BUT your 45V power supply needs to be well regulated as any trace of ripple will show up on your carrier as HUM. A linear regulator will get pretty hot and be bulky.  A switcher will be much better, but hey guess what that is what a PW modulator is, a tricked out switching regulator with feed forward from the +45 to regulate out the ripple.  So just build a PW modulator.  Way more power than a PA amp, smaller, more efficient, etc, etc.

I guess what Im saying is just build it as Steve designed it with minor modifications because you will end up there anyway.  Good luck.  73s  Nigel  VE3ELQ

A "Tube Free" zone.
ka1tdq

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »

Oh, ok... It'll take longer, but that design works.  I can build this portion of the RF deck on what I have and then mount it on the larger white metal board I found for the class E output components.

I'll worry about the modulator last after I get a working RF deck.

Oh, and the RF drive:  I really don't want to mess with digital drive of a rig this large at 40 meters.  I built a single FET CW rig for 40 meters using digital drive, but it's fussy.  I did manage to get 60 watts stable out of it though using 48 volts on the drain.

Analog isn't as good, but I can just blast it in there a coupling network from my rice box.  No guessing... just verify 20 volts pp-ish and done!

Thanks,
Jon

N1BCG

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:16:03 AM »

If you use two FT200-2 cores wound 1:1 for OP transformers they will run cooler and give you the added ability to add or remove a turn or two on the secondaries for the best impedance match.

This is an interesting point. My RF deck, as do many others, uses FB-43-1020 tubular toroids. Using ring shaped toroids sounds like it would save space.

There's a site that offers a lot of information on these cores:

http://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/hf-projects/47-construction/107-toroidal-balun-info

It's focused on balun contruction, but winding/impedance data and formulas for a variety of uses are provided at the bottom.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »

This is an interesting point. My RF deck, as do many others, uses FB-43-1020 tubular toroids. Using ring shaped toroids sounds like it would save space.

There's a site that offers a lot of information on these cores:

http://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/hf-projects/47-construction/107-toroidal-balun-info

It's focused on balun contruction, but winding/impedance data and formulas for a variety of uses are provided at the bottom.

Watch out for the DC component in any transformer construction.  Take the carrier DC current and multiply this value by 3 (yes, 3 for 200% positive modulation) and base all calculations on that number.  The DC component is generally more of an issue with core saturation than the RF.  Improperly sized transformers will cause the cores to saturate during high positive peaks and that's a big problem!

Thought I'd mention it - otherwise this looks like an interesting project!  Smiley

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
ka1tdq

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »

While I'm gathering parts, let me pose this question:

What would make for a good L tuner for this project?

I had planned on using an automatic LDG tuner, but that sometimes cuts off drive when looking for a good match. Not good with class E.

L's can be constructed so that the parallel capacitor is before or after the series inductor with respect to the driver. How should this one be? I know it depends on if the impedance is above or below 50 ohms.

Also what component values should I be looking at. I will look for a miniductor and use an alligator clip.

Apologies if my cell phone auto corrected anything and made it weird.

Jon

ka1tdq

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:19:50 PM »

I just got my cores in the mail.  I've picked a pair of BN-43-7051's for the gate transformers.  They seem a little small.  Using insulated copper wire, I could only get 5 turns on the primary vs. the 6 I was hoping to get.  Could these cores handle 50 to 60 watts of drive at 40 meters?  If so, could I use 20 AWG magnet wire?

Jon

* IMG_0401.JPG (1838.49 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 390 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015