The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammarlund SP-400 Restoration - how to remove shaft to oscillator assembly T5?  (Read 14945 times)
w2emn

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »

I pulled a SP-200 BFO can I had laying around and confirmed what Dennis said- no paper cap in the can and you can disassemble the can by removing the screws from the two tuning caps, pushing them back into the can and then pulling the entire assembly out the bottom of the can. The tuning cap is mounted on long wire leads, so it can be tilted as it is pushed back into the can. As Dennis also said, it's easy to push the tuning cap in, and not so easy getting it back out again.

Ed  W2EMN (two BC-779s, one SP-400 and one SP-600)
w6nrd

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2015, 06:29:05 PM »

Well after a long delay I finally got back to the sp-400 and have an update.  The delay was normal life fun - I had sent off the audio transformers to be rewound as one was problematic and I figured I might as well do both as I'm into this restoration deep enough already ;-) While the transformers were off being worked on I tried to just disconnect the coupler on the shaft so the small wood piece was all that was sticking out, then I undid the screws on the bottom of the can, disconnected any wires and pulled the entire can off.  Once pulled free I was able to easily maneuver the shave and other connected components easily out of the can to check and verify all was in good order.  As an earlier post had stated - no need to do anything but pull the can off and push at an angle a little to get everything free.

Thanks to everyone for the help!  As of today my SP-400 is now working and hearing after a long 1 1/2 years of messing around fixing this baby up.  Next is the alignment and final assembly to close everything up and put her on the shelf!
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »

pix??

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015