The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:36:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 813 Amp Build  (Read 1854 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: February 08, 2015, 01:47:20 AM »

The 813 arrived today.  Dumb question time.  I'm going to build the RF amp on one chassis and the output Pi Net on another to be mounted just above it; Gates BC-1T style.  813 to be mounted front and center on the RF deck with window.  I know they don't need a lot of cooling and I have a nice fan that can do the job above chassis.

So here's the dumb question.  My socket is a standard ceramic.  There seems to be three ways to mount the thing.  Mine is a Johnson.  Got it and the toob from Al Hart (TNX Al!). Mounting it on top of the chassis is dumb.  So I probably should cut a hole and mount it underneath which is logical.  HOWEVER I've seen situations where the hole is large enough to allow the base of the tube to be recessed and the socket is suspended on metal standoffs below the chassis.  I'm thinking I'd rather mount the ceramic socket below and leave the tube base above.  Is the only advantage reducing panel height?
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »

Some tubes like 807s and 1625s which are also beam power like being mounted low, It is my belief and understanding the extra shielding can be a benifit. I have even done that with some HD 6l6s. And if it is merely a figment of one's imagination what could it heurt?
don

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »

Does not matter, but mounting below allows convection air to flow around the tube well.
You an add spring clips to ground the metal base for shielding.
Recessed mounting allows for a shorter front panel.
No point in a window for an 813, the plate is not supposed to glow, and you would need screening or metal coated glass to keep the RF out of your face (and microphone).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015