The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 06:04:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DRM digital radio mondiale  (Read 3625 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: February 01, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »

Is there a small add-on demodulator that could be used with existing 455KC receivers to receive digital radio mondiale transmissions?

I found some reference to SDRs but would not want to involve a PC or expensive black box for the purpose. Ideally, a small circuit board would be best.

This at first look seems to be one, but it still requires connection to a PC sound card. I'd like to avoid that mess.
http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/schemas/DRM_455kHz_to_LF_Converter_FRG-100.htm

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »

It might get a little complicated towards the use of computers, Patrick......unfortunately.
I have DRM on the Flex software for my SoftRock Ensemble II radio. There's a free way out, but you have to build the files used to decode the data stream.
I paid the $39 for the license to download a complete working file.
Sounds beautiful!! I receive Radio New Zealand in the 9mhz band. Some drop-outs but unbelievable audio.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »

The short answer  to your questions about DRM regarding receiving it without a computer is, unfortunately, NO.

DRM is a highly scrambled broadband digital signal which REQUIRES proprietary computer software to decode. FPGA computer equipt SDR receivers with the DRM software installed can decode the buzz.Without software it's just noise. Other (third party) hacked software programs have been available from time to time but the DRM people are like our recording industry or film makers when it comes to digital piracy playing WackAmole whenever somebody figures out the algorithm.

From a consumers point of view, DRM is awesome. No fade, low to no distortion, Very high quality HF DX programming The company that sells DRM decoding software chip sets to manufacturers for mobile receivers and home audio just cannot seem to get over just how awesome the are. They have priced themselves out of just about every market in the world.

DRM programers are dumping the high priced short wave DRM transmissions that aren't being heard by anybody but curious hams in countries outside the target audience in favor of more popular and less costly digital mediums.

Mike
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:54:38 PM »

I see.
TI makes a chip and a demo board, but those kind of things are costly.
I had thought to buy a little ready made module with the ASIC chip already there, and avoid a PC.
Secondarily, to buy a DRM capable receiver and hack it so it could be used with an R390A or something, avoiding a PC.
It would be nice to slip something like that into a 1U rack chassis with connections on the back.

If the cost for royalties and licensing makes the end use item pricing unreasonable then it won't be worth it for my little SWL hobby.
Just like the Winlink mode III stuff is outpriced.
Pride Goeth.

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:28:52 AM »

http://www.drmrx.org/faqs.html

AMI#1684
VE3ELQ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »

If you really want to decode DRM then a PC running freeware DReaM application is by far the best option.  Its only one cable from the IF down converter, pretty simple really.  But your RX needs a full 10 khz bandwith IF to get all of it. I have been receiving it for 4 years or so using an RF Space USB SDR receiver and virtual audio cable SW to the DReaM application in my HAM station PC.  It works great but DRM does not.  It requires a very good S/N to lock and when not locked which can be much of the time you get nothing.  When locked it does provide very high quality audio as you would expect.  With conventional AM you can at least fill in the blanks in your mind from selective fading and pretty much understand all of it.  Or just listen to one sideband in SSB mode on the really weak ones.  Not so with DRM.  Most stations I have received break lock far too often and are basically unusable. I dont see much future in it.  I know this does not answer your question but my comment really is dont bother with it.

A "Tube Free" zone.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:26:10 PM »

That's all pretty good info, thanks for the answers on this!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015