The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:40:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tube Type Transmitters - Second Edition by Eugene Rippen  (Read 10162 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: January 29, 2015, 04:20:37 PM »

I just received this book and its great!  I had the earlier addition and this one is twice as thick.  It serves as a nice "go to" when wanting to find out quick details on transmitters going back as far as 1920 and continuing through the 80's.  I have no connection with the seller.  Just passing along this information for those unaware of it.

I did notice that Pete - WA2CWA was one of the individuals listed in the credit column!   

Here is a link if your interested: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300894083621

Joe GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »

Gene (the author) passed away in July 2011.
The book was also listed on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tube-Type-Transmitters-Eugene-Rippen/dp/098364280X

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:41:07 PM »

Gene (the author) passed away in July 2011.
The book was also listed on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tube-Type-Transmitters-Eugene-Rippen/dp/098364280X

Thanks for the Amazon link Pete. 

Sorry to hear that Gene passed away. 

Joe

KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:56:28 PM »

Looks like a very interesting book...Does it include any schematics?
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »

Looks like a very interesting book...Does it include any schematics?

No schematics!   Its good for looking up various rigs to see what years they were manufactured.  It does give the tubes used in the rig and other basic information.

Joe, GMS   

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:52:50 PM »

I can't remember what all I supplied Gene but I do remember several e-mails we had back and forth as he was compiling information for the 2nd edition.

Ray Moore, as an extension to his Communications Receiver 1932-1981 book, came out with Transmitters, Exciters and Power Amplifiers 1930-1980 back in April 1996. As far as I know, he never took it past the first edition although the receiver book final edition was 4th edition.

Then there's the Radio's by Hallicrafters book by Dachis, the two Heathkit books (Amateur Radio and Test Equipment) by Penson, and the latest 800 page, Shortwave Receivers Past and Present 1942-2013 book, by Osterman. There's also several military books compiling a number of receivers, transmitters, etc.

I wonder if some enterprising person will start to compile a book on amateur radio transceivers 1960-present. That would be a lot of information between the covers.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »

I can't remember what all I supplied Gene but I do remember several e-mails we had back and forth as he was compiling information for the 2nd edition.

Ray Moore, as an extension to his Communications Receiver 1932-1981 book, came out with Transmitters, Exciters and Power Amplifiers 1930-1980 back in April 1996. As far as I know, he never took it past the first edition although the receiver book final edition was 4th edition.

Then there's the Radio's by Hallicrafters book by Dachis, the two Heathkit books (Amateur Radio and Test Equipment) by Penson, and the latest 800 page, Shortwave Receivers Past and Present 1942-2013 book, by Osterman. There's also several military books compiling a number of receivers, transmitters, etc.

I wonder if some enterprising person will start to compile a book on amateur radio transceivers 1960-present. That would be a lot of information between the covers.

I do have the other books you mentioned with the exception of the Military book.   

I refer to Ray Moore's book often.  I am not sure if Ray is still around or not. 

For Hallicrafters stuff, its hard to beat Chuck's book. 

I met Chuck Pension up at the AWA conference when he gave a talk on then new Heath test equiptment book.   It nice folks take the time to do these special interest groups publications. 

A book on vintage or classic Amateur Radio Transmitters would be very helpful and from what I am hearing on the air, a lot of the classic SSB XCVR's are still being used.   

Joe GMS

WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »

Pete said:"I wonder if some enterprising person will start to compile a book on amateur radio transceivers 1960-present. That would be a lot of information between the covers."

There is a book and supplementary cd that ARRL sells that might come pretty close to that. Its by Joe Veras, K9OCO called "50 Years of Amateur Radio Innovation". They say it covers 400 pieces of equipment, thats quite a number, but not everything that was out there I'm sure.
Larry
W4RFM

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »

Just took your advice and bought a copy, thanks.

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »

Pete said:"I wonder if some enterprising person will start to compile a book on amateur radio transceivers 1960-present. That would be a lot of information between the covers."

There is a book and supplementary cd that ARRL sells that might come pretty close to that. Its by Joe Veras, K9OCO called "50 Years of Amateur Radio Innovation". They say it covers 400 pieces of equipment, thats quite a number, but not everything that was out there I'm sure.
Larry

Unfortunately, Joe's book and CD only covers receivers, transmitters, and transceivers from 1930 to 1980. There has been a lot of transceivers that came and went from 1980 to the present.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »

How does this book compare to "Transmitters Exciters & Power Amplifiers 1930-1980" by Raymond S Moore?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

I have used the Moore book as my main go to book for years and its a great publication.  Eugene's book is much larger to the tune of 333 pages compared to Moore's 144 page book. In some cases Eugen's book has slightly better picture quality.  I just spot checked and Moore's book does not have some of the transmitters in it that Eugene's book has.  Saying that, maybe Moore has a few transmitters that not are in Eugene's book!  I did not do an extensive comparison. 

For the money, I think its a great addition and each book will likely supplement the other.

Joe GMS 

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »

I've used the Moore books for many years to the point that pages are now falling out of it. The glue binding gets brittle and the pages separate. As Joe points out, both books complement each other. Moore's book came out in the mid 90's when high resolution was just a dream on many scanners. Rippen's book takes advantage of the high quality scanning and printing techniques that are currently in use.

Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »

i just ordered a copy of the Rippen book. Prior to now I wasn't aware that it existed. Thanx for the tip, Joe. i can't seem to get enough reference material.

Jim

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »

Mine arrived yesterday and I got to flip through it a bit last night. Sorta like Moore's book on steroids. A lot of excellent info included. Some items are pretty sparse in their description, but something is better than nothing. Even more stuff I'd never seen before.

I'm also sorry to hear that Gene passed away. We used to chat in depth about different rigs, usually some esoteric item that neither of us had ever seen before, other times more typical items like Clegg, Collins, and so on. IIRC, Gene was a lawyer by trade and radio nut the rest of the time. He sent me the info to join his Foothills boatanchor swap group a couple times but I never got around to doing it. Hadn't heard from him since sometime before the baby arrived. Now I know why.

He left a handy reference guide behind for us. Thanks and RIP, Gene.

And thanks again for the heads up, Joe.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »

Mine arrived yesterday and I got to flip through it a bit last night. Sorta like Moore's book on steroids. A lot of excellent info included. Some items are pretty sparse in their description, but something is better than nothing. Even more stuff I'd never seen before.
I'm also sorry to hear that Gene passed away. We used to chat in depth about different rigs, usually some esoteric item that neither of us had ever seen before, other times more typical items like Clegg, Collins, and so on. IIRC, Gene was a lawyer by trade and radio nut the rest of the time. He sent me the info to join his Foothills boatanchor swap group a couple times but I never got around to doing it. Hadn't heard from him since sometime before the baby arrived. Now I know why.
He left a handy reference guide behind for us. Thanks and RIP, Gene.
And thanks again for the heads up, Joe.

Glad you folks like the book.  I thought it was well worth the money spent.  Its a wonderful and very complete reference for the older stuff.  I noticed that Ray our in ER now lists it as well from his book store.   I found about this latest addition from an email I received from Joe Cro.  I have the first edition as well but this second edition is far superior.

I did not know Gene but was very sorry to hear of his passing.  Sounds like you knew him quite well Todd and glad you had some good chats with him.

Joe - GMS  

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 03:54:04 PM »

I received my copy this weekend and couldn't be happier. What a great reference.  Thanks for the point!  bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »

Never met Gene and wouldn't say I knew him very well, Joe, but he was certainly a kindred radio spirit. It's always fun and maybe a bit reassuring ("See? I'm not that crazy after all") to talk with someone who is as excited about a shared interest. Also got to exchange words with Bill Orr and Ed Clegg before they passed away. The internet has been a boon for such opportunities. Had a SP-200 with Bill's name on it, but he left before I got it dug out of the garage.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 04:28:29 PM »

Both Gene and Ed, and several other notable names who have passed on, use to frequent a number of e-mail reflectors back in the 90's and early to mid 2000's. Even Ed Ladd (Li'l Lulu fame) was a member of our AM Window bulletin board for a short period.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »

I received my copy yesterday.  A lot of intersting stuff in there that I never heard of.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015