The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:18:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters paint  (Read 4239 times)
K3ZW
« on: January 23, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »

Could anyone recommend a spray paint that matches the light gray used by Hallicrafters ??
W4RFM

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »

I have used a Krylon light gray primer, followed by a coat of Rustoleum Clear for a pretty good match. I will find the Krylon number and edit it "in".

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »

ZW..not an expert here but I have restored a few Halli rigs and I used Rust-oleum Painters Touch 12oz spray in gloss..Winter Gray..to my eyes it is as close to an exact match you'll find..Home Depot for sure sells it..lots of places stock the Rust-oleum line anyway..last can I used was about a year ago so hopefully they still make it..??  gud luk!  73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »

This may be of interest:

http://www.dealamerica.com/Boat_Anchor_Paints.pdf

Regards,
Jeff

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Are you talking about the gray metallic (not really silver) used on the cabinet lids?  If so, there's a Chevy Duplicolor spray bomb that's pretty close - available at auto parts stores.  Has too much metallic in it for my tastes, but it's quick and easy and the Duplicolor goes on well.  Just make sure and prime/sand well before the final coats.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »

There's actually a Rustoleum color that is about dead nuts-on, but I can't remember the number. Pretty sure it's called 'Dull Aluminum' or something like that. As JN says, it's really not silver, and using silver will result in a really pimped-up bright result.

I do remember the black match, as it's a semi-gloss/satin finish black, #6666. I keep a few cans around because it works well on many different things.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W4RFM

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:22:36 PM »

I think that silver gray color is called Storm Gray, available at Advance Auto and others I am sure.

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015