The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rotator question....  (Read 2245 times)
RolandSWL
Contributing

« on: January 12, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »

Hi All,

I am using an "inexpensive"  rotator with my Pixel-Pro antenna. I have attached a bottom up photo of the innards.

Do I need to somehow protect the drive motor as it is kind of naked looking in there? Magic corrosion inhibitor spray, Krylon, nothing? There is a cover that swings up to keep out the mice.

I have not yet wired the Pixel-Pro into the remote antenna switch so I don't know how well it works.

Thanks, Roland.............

* P1030364.jpg (64.86 KB, 400x300 - viewed 368 times.)

* P1030368.jpg (103.17 KB, 640x480 - viewed 411 times.)
k7iou

Johnson Viking Five Hundred

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »

Should be fine with the cover in place. Here in the southwest the bearing dries out and rotation becomes stick & noisy. I found a shot of WD40 up under the collar when they stick frees them up. By then all the rubber seals start degrading. Install it and enjoy.

de k7iou
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »

That rotor was originally designed by Channel Master.  The motor on the early ones was inside the metal plate.  Then CM started making the rotors (maybe 30 years ago) with the motor on the underside of the metal plate.  Their patent ran out many years ago and now a number of companies copied the design and make the same rotor.  For TV antenna use it's the only design being made as it is a very reliable rotor with very few failures.  IIRC CM made the rotor in Canada, but now they're all made in China and the Chinese quality is as good if not better than the CMs.

You shouldn't have any problems with your rotor, the housing protects the motor.

Fred
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »

I would love to try one (or two) of those antenna's.
I hear the hot setup is two at right angles, what one does not pick up/null out the other one will and no turning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015