The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:37:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack filed for bankruptcy.  (Read 4687 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »

Today. The stock closed at 51 cents. I really don't know what to say. It seems the end of something.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:53:11 PM »

Where did you see they filed for bankruptcy? They indicated back in June of 2014 that they may have to file for bankruptcy protection. The latest word I've seen is that they may file for bankruptcy protection sometime next month. Given the state of their financials, that's the best thing they can do at this time. Also, I think I read in the Wall Street Journal that Salus Capital Partners would provide $500 million to RadioShack in a kind of "debtor-in-possession" loan used by companies to fund their operations in bankruptcy.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:47:52 PM »

It was on the news. Now I think it was misreported and has not happened yet, and is supposed to be next month. Maye this topic should be removed.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:46:57 AM »

I found two stories on the web, both indicating RS may file for bankruptcy soon because the company has not been able to secure loans it desperately needs.  Neither story indicates which section of the bankruptcy code RS might file under, although it kind of sounds like chapter 11, which is for reorganization of debt.  Chapter 7 is liquidation.

My local RS still carries the drawers of small parts like disc capacitors, resistors, connectors, etc. as well as solder, heat shrink and the like.  It's nice to be able to drive a few blocks and pick up things like that.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:45:55 AM »

Having gone through the Lafayette Radio bankruptcy proceedings, there's no guarantee, which stores, if any, will remain open after they file. If there's stuff you need or want from RS, now is the time to probably get it.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:32:06 AM »

It might be time to let go!
RS has been strictly for convenience to get that little electronic project going. Usually minor items like connectors and small  quantities of coax were available. The batteries they sold, Enercell ??, were the best and the freshest. What they sell now is junk.
We can get most small project electronics and connectors online now. There's a little processing time.
I worked there for 2 years in the beginning of HDTV and bought, with a 20% discount, a Hi-Res HEAVY 35 inch CRT RCA TV and Direct TV receiver. I connected a 10dB gain directional UHF antenna pointing into town and received nice pictures. CBS was the first network to devote a few hours every evening with HDTV.
I was at this store, near Washington DC, during Thanksgiving. The sales people and manager told me that it would be so easy to make commission that day, cuz there would be a line around the building from customers wanting to buy the discounted items and electronic toys. HA! What a wasted day that was!!
After 12 noon, I asked to be off the clock and go home. This was 1991, I think.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KA3EKH

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:59:27 AM »

Dont know how they stayed open this long! have not bought anything there in years. buy everything online or Hamfest and cannot remember last time in a Radio Shack. Its fun to remember what was at one time but thoes days are long gone.
John K5PRO

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »

I visited our local Rat Shack after Christmas for a cordless phone battery and they were out of stock. As a matter of fact, many shelves and the glass display case at the register was empty. I asked the owner, and he said he was low on inventory after the holiday and was rearranging things. I hope he was right. i picked up a neat green laser pointer, must be 3 mW, for $12 while there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015