The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:03:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebuilding ART-13 power supply  (Read 7134 times)
KC2TAU

« on: December 13, 2014, 10:41:36 AM »

I've been planning on rebuilding the power supply for my ART-13. It has gone through many iterations from its original form as I was not satisfied with its initial construction. I plan on this being the final revision which includes an entirely new front panel as well as many new components in the power supply itself. I will use this thread as a log of progress as well as a way of asking questions without having to start multiple threads.

One idea that I had thought of last night was that I would like to variac the primary for both the HV and MV (400vdc) supplies to have an extra degree of adjustability over my grid drive. Naturally, this will require two variacs. The question I have is how large do these variacs need to be? I've been looking over various schematics of ART-13 supplies and a fair few number have a single 5A fuse for both the HV and MV supplies. I was thinking that a 3A variac for each supply would be sufficient.

To give a bit more detail here is how the two power supplies are configured:

MV:

Transformer: Antek AS-4T500 500V toroid transformer
Choke: Hammond 193Q 10Hy @ 500ma
Capacitance: 60mfd @ 900vdc maximum with a 40k bleeder resistor

HV:

Transformer: 2500vdc maximum (I plan to run the ART-13 at about 1000vdc maximum)
Choke: Unknown (Perhaps around the same inductance as the MV choke? It isn't labeled so I am unable to tell)
Capacitance: 47mfd @ 4500vdc maximum voltage with 100k bleeder resistor

Unfortunately, due to the supply being partially disassembled I am unable to measure the current draw of the current configuration hence my inquiry.

My second question is that I would like to replace my current HV choke with something of a known quantity. I would like to use something like a Hammond 193Q which is 10Hy at 500ma. What concerns me, though, is that the choke is rated by Hammond at a maximum voltage of 1000vdc. This sounds like this could be an issue?

Thanks again and I will be sure to post photos as I progress.
KA2DZT

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 12:04:11 PM »

Post a pic of the unknown choke and are there any numbers on it??

1000 volt rating, you're cutting it close.  Most any choke can handle 1KV.

Fred

N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »

Yo'

With only 1KV on the plates of the 813/811's I should
think there would never be a reason to turn that Down.
However the ART-13 responds well to a good a stiff LV
supply for the driver/Multiplier string. If you do put
a variac on the LV supply you may want to shoot for
something like 450-475 VDC out and you could turn that
down if needed.

FWIW My HB ART-13 supply has fuses for fil/LV/HV
The LV is fused at 3 A and I don't recall ever blowing it.
The fil and HV are fused at 5 A each and they have
never blown either.. I think my HV is just below 1300.

73 es GL

/Dan

w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »

Single choke?  You could be talking a swinging choke= 5 - 25 HY @ 350 - 500 ma or a 10 HY choke @ 350 - 500 ma.  Be sure the choke pots out for at least twice the maximum HV setting.   There are plenty of old buzzard chokes out there at the festers or on eBay.  UTC put out a nice potted choke that would look pretty - would match the circular form factor of the power transformer.  Thordarson puts out a nice looking juke box form factor choke.  Not sure if Hammond makes one any more.

Al
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »

HV:
Transformer: 2500vdc maximum (I plan to run the ART-13 at about 1000vdc maximum)
Choke: Unknown (Perhaps around the same inductance as the MV choke? It isn't labeled so I am unable to tell)

Mike,  

Not sure what iron you have for high voltage. Since you want 2500 volt capability, and to also run the ART-13 at 1KV, consider this idea. If the transformer has a 115V / 230V primary, then for the ART-13, run it off 115 volts into the transformer primary configured for 230V. Also consider that with a variac drive, the load off the swinging wiper is stiffest when the ratio is 1:1, or when the knob is at the dot. When throttling down, the line will droop more for a given load current. So uprating the variac from a 3A to a 5A or a 5A to a 7A might be a good choice if you want to throttle way down.

I got an off the wall idea to use instead of a variac. If the transformers are toroidal cores, it would be easy to add more primary turns. As an example, if the primary had 100 turns, then add 10 more (tap), then 10 more (tap), then 10 more (tap.). Then use a four position rotary switch to select the taps (Full, -10%, -20%, -30%). This idea loses merit if the primary turns are a lot more than 100, but is still possible. You would have to wrap in the correct direction though, so try it first with a few turns.

You have a very neat looking shack as seen on QRZ....so where does the power supply fit into the setup?

Jim
Wd5JKO
k7iou

Johnson Viking Five Hundred

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »

Did you see this post?
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=37419.0
I viewed his video of his art13 and power supply. Pretty nice!
Maybe you could contact him for ideas?
de k7iou

de k7iou
KC2TAU

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:46:35 AM »

Post a pic of the unknown choke and are there any numbers on it??

1000 volt rating, you're cutting it close.  Most any choke can handle 1KV.

Fred

Hello Fred,

No problem, I can take a few photos and post them.

What confuses me is that there is a build page on the Hammond website (http://www.hammondmfg.com/clas_xample_ART13.htm) that shows that they used the 193Q choke. Now, considering how I see four transformers in the photo that would lead me to believe that they used the choke in both the LV and HV supplies. I cannot see how they managed to make that work as 1000vdc is on the low end for ART-13 operation and at that point you're right at the limit.

Yo'

With only 1KV on the plates of the 813/811's I should
think there would never be a reason to turn that Down.
However the ART-13 responds well to a good a stiff LV
supply for the driver/Multiplier string. If you do put
a variac on the LV supply you may want to shoot for
something like 450-475 VDC out and you could turn that
down if needed.

FWIW My HB ART-13 supply has fuses for fil/LV/HV
The LV is fused at 3 A and I don't recall ever blowing it.
The fil and HV are fused at 5 A each and they have
never blown either.. I think my HV is just below 1300.

73 es GL

/Dan

Hello Dan,

The HV transformer is rated at about 2000-2500vdc with 115vac on the primary. This is why I use a variac so as to bring the HV output down to something more reasonable!

Thank you for the info on the fuses. I initially bought a 12A variac for just the HV alone. Why I did that I have absolutely no idea. To err is human. I am working with relatively limited space and so if I could free up and inch or two here it would make the rest of the build much more relaxing.

I'll keep that in mind about the LV supply. I suppose I just like having more knobs to turn. To be able to trim the LV supply so as to not to put too much stress on the transmitter is my main reason for doing this.

Single choke?  You could be talking a swinging choke= 5 - 25 HY @ 350 - 500 ma or a 10 HY choke @ 350 - 500 ma.  Be sure the choke pots out for at least twice the maximum HV setting.   There are plenty of old buzzard chokes out there at the festers or on eBay.  UTC put out a nice potted choke that would look pretty - would match the circular form factor of the power transformer.  Thordarson puts out a nice looking juke box form factor choke.  Not sure if Hammond makes one any more.

Al

Hello Al,

Yes, that's it. I would like to use a 10Hy @ 500ma. I have the Hammond 193Q planned for the LV supply since it'll be running at maximum 450vdc and the 193Q is rated for 1000vdc. It's a shame that there aren't any properly HV rated chokes out there in current production. The current choke I have seems to work fine and seems to be stiff enough. I just wanted to have the transformers matching in appearance but if it isn't rated for such voltage then no way will I be using it. I'll keep looking around for an appropriate choke, though, as at the very least it'd be nice to have a choke in there where I know the specifications of it for certain.

HV:

Mike,  

Not sure what iron you have for high voltage. Since you want 2500 volt capability, and to also run the ART-13 at 1KV, consider this idea. If the transformer has a 115V / 230V primary, then for the ART-13, run it off 115 volts into the transformer primary configured for 230V. Also consider that with a variac drive, the load off the swinging wiper is stiffest when the ratio is 1:1, or when the knob is at the dot. When throttling down, the line will droop more for a given load current. So uprating the variac from a 3A to a 5A or a 5A to a 7A might be a good choice if you want to throttle way down.

I got an off the wall idea to use instead of a variac. If the transformers are toroidal cores, it would be easy to add more primary turns. As an example, if the primary had 100 turns, then add 10 more (tap), then 10 more (tap), then 10 more (tap.). Then use a four position rotary switch to select the taps (Full, -10%, -20%, -30%). This idea loses merit if the primary turns are a lot more than 100, but is still possible. You would have to wrap in the correct direction though, so try it first with a few turns.

You have a very neat looking shack as seen on QRZ....so where does the power supply fit into the setup?

Jim
Wd5JKO

Hello Jim,

I am unsure if the current HV transformer has a tap for 230. It's a rather large item, though, so I would imagine it very well might.

Thank you for the reminder on the line sag and the need for a sufficiently rated variac. I had read that a while ago and had forgotten about it up until now. The HV transformer is not a toroidal but the LV one is so that idea is very valid.

Thank you for the kind words about the QRZ photo. I need to update that photo as I have really rearranged my station since then but the ART-13 still sits on top of the same rack cabinet. The power supply goes in the empty space in the rack cabinet and the HV transformer and filament power supply are external to the supply

Did you see this post?
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=37419.0
I viewed his video of his art13 and power supply. Pretty nice!
Maybe you could contact him for ideas?
de k7iou

I did see that thread and was impressed at how compact he was able to make his supply.

Finally,

I have heard that putting the choke on the negative side of the HV alleviates the voltage breakdown issue. If this is true, why is this so?
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »

For a variac, you want to go big as you can, they run best when run light, heavy current can wear them out where they sit in one spot for a long time, and they have poor regulation when run heavy.

I tend to make things universal, so it could be used on anything, so variac's are nice.
Want to run some small rig at 700 volts, the supply will work great. Want to run a pair of 811a's at 1200 to 1500 volts, it will also do well, what to screen modulate something? Turn it up to 2000 volts for screen modulation.
Put meters on it and you are all set.

I gave away some transformer and choke pairs out of paging transmitters someone gave me, 3000 volt ct at 400 ma, was full wave bridge choke input to a 4-400 in FM service, gave 1200 volts choke input using the center tap. Just right for an ART-13 which is what they ended up powering.
I have one set left.
The transformer has mounts for the board that holds the rectifiers, 1 amp 12,000 volt bricks.
Those things were a gold mine of parts, I used the plate tune caps (3-30 pf vacuum caps at 15kv) for neutralizing caps on my push pull 812a rig.

KA2DZT

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 04:49:58 PM »

Most chokes are rated with a RMS TEST voltage.  Small chokes usually are rated 3KV RMS TEST.  To figure the DC volt rating you would subtract 1KV and then divide by two.  This results in a 1KV DC rating for a 3KV RMS TEST rating.  How much can you exceed this rating is a good question.  If it's rated for 1KV DC you can probably go to 1300 DC volts without any problems.  Putting 2KV on the same choke might be a different story.  Input chokes take more stress than a second choke in a LCLC filter.

I do not like putting chokes in the negative lead although it has been done many times with good results.

Get a picture of this unknown choke as it may be something myself or someone else has seen.  May even be something I have as I have over 1000 chokes and xfmrs (counting the small ones) hanging around.

You do not need a swinging choke for the input choke.  A so called smoothing choke will be OK and probably better.  Swinging chokes drop their inductance as more current flows through it.  These swinging choke were used to better regulate the DC voltage as the load increased.  As the inductance dropped (with more current load), the filter became closer to a capacitor input filter which increased the voltage.

The difference between a swinging choke and smoothing choke is the gap between the Is and Es.  Swinging chokes have much less of a gap.

Fred
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »

Hey Mike and All,

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and will
have a better New Year!

Sorry for bringing up this relatively old post
but Ironically I got an ART-13 on the bench just before
Christmas and am just getting to it today. One of the
points of concern by the OP was current draw on the LV
supply.

As Measured:   LV = 460VDC

CW STBY      170ma
   CW OP      220ma
   voice stby   0 ma
   voice OP   230ma
   MCW stby   170ma
   MCW OP      220ma
   CAL      190ma

This is an ART-13 in pretty good shape with good
tubes through the final and modulators, I can't test
811's or 813's in the old Hickock! But it is making
80W out on 3880kc with 800v HV. and 500pF of external
loading into a Cantenna.

/Dan
KC2TAU

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 04:02:28 PM »

Hello Dan,

That is very helpful information. Thank you. I was looking for some data regarding that for helping in sizing an adequate choke for the LV supply. Your power output is just about right for 800V.

I'm still curious, though, as to why some people do not recommend putting the choke on the negative lead of the high voltage? What are the downsides?
KA2DZT

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »

A negative lead choke been done many times with good results.  Downside is the choke raises the xfmr CT voltage above ground.  Some xfmrs can't handle that.  Other downside is there a bit more ripple left due to the DC resistance of the choke.  It's possible the DC resistance of the xfmr winding may add to this issue although I'm not 100% sure.

Use a positive lead choke if you have one that can handle the high voltage.  Most any power supply choke can handle 1300 volts.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015