The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:26:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tornado  (Read 7483 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: December 26, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »

A very large tornado touched down to the west at I-35 and I-20 moving northeast. It was but a couple miles from me and then this radar image appeared and the tornado dissipated. The image is so interesting that it seems providential. My location is the little red dot in the green portion.

The severe part of the storm being some 50-60 miles in diameter, it is very ugly because it has been in the high 70's all day and after this storm the freezing weather will come.

It has made another tornado about 4 miles north of here but right now it's not on the ground. There is yet another tornado in Rowlett from the same storm, Rowlet is a suburb on the west edge of Dallas 28 miles from here. Getting tired of tornados tonight as this is the 5th or 6th, and 4th on the ground.

The wind has been 60-80MPH for over an hour, so I hope my newly fixed up antenna is not damaged again.

I really do not like these big storms. There is no place for me to hide except in a hallway.

For others who live where tornados come around, what are the solutions for you? We do not have many basements in Texas due to the soil characteristics.

* providence and the tornado.jpg (157.18 KB, 800x718 - viewed 410 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:35:19 PM »

its sounds terrible Patrick.  The south has been hit hard.

I lived for a little under a year up in Witchita Falls back in '74   Craziest WX I ever saw. 

Peter
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »

I live about 120 miles North of you and we had two tornados today, one West of us and the other East, both about 15 miles away.  We bought a safe room and had it installed in the garage.  It is a steel room about 5 ft. by 8 ft. and made of 3/8" steel.  

Those underground types in the floor of a garage tend to flood and drown people.  Those that are 3/4 buried tend to get water in the hole and the entire shelter floats to the top of the hole.  If you get either one, be sure to find someone who knows how to install it, that is very important.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 11:45:28 PM »

Bath tub we where taught.

The refineries I worked in all had designated basement and hardened shelters as well.

Thought of you when the tornado hit the news feed.   Glad to hear it missed ya.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »

Glad you got through it okay, Pat. Scary stuff. Your radar image looks like a protector or defender of sorts, chasing the storm off.

NC has a few here each year. 4-5 yrs ago now there was a big outbreak that started around here, hit Alabama and elsewhere over the following days. Raleigh and some of the surrounding areas got hit hard, 24 lives lost. It stayed a few miles to the east of us, thankfully.

We have no basement or storm shelter. Folks in the south didn't believe in house basements, apparently. Bathtubs are on the periphery of the structure so we settled on the laundry room which is in the center of the house with no windows and small with numerous walls = extra support. Of course, with just a crawl space under the house, a good sized storm would pick the whole place up anyhow. 

In discussing any future move that might land us in the midwest 'tornado alley' area, storm protection is at the top of the list in house requirements, right after 'No HOAs'.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »

The bathtub idea is because the tub was anchored via plumbing,  to the earth.   Now that nobody knows how to lay pipe,  and all plumbers cut aquapex pipe with pvc cutters,  I doubt it would do anything.

Then again,  we where all taught to duck and cover,   under tables,  etc.   Turns out,  tables are compressed to the ground,  and the people under completely smashed.   But,  those laying NEXT to the tables,  fared alive.

Live and learn,  I guess...   In a morbid sort of way.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »

Around here the WX people say if you are caught in any tornado situation, a small closet or tub will do, but buy and wear safety goggles and a football helmet to help minimize injuries to the head.  It seems that the majority of injuries and deaths are to the head.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »

Yep, ya never know when your number is picked -

"The elephant got killed last night" story:

Back in WWII when Moscow was getting bombed, a statistics professor never showed up at the local air raid shelter. He calculated that out of millions of people in Moscow, the chances of him getting hit were too small to be concerned with.

One night he showed up at the shelter and his friend axed him, "why now?"  He said that the only elephant in Moscow got killed last night...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »

The bathtub idea is because the tub was anchored via plumbing,  to the earth.   Now that nobody knows how to lay pipe,  and all plumbers cut aquapex pipe with pvc cutters,  I doubt it would do anything.

Then again,  we where all taught to duck and cover,   under tables,  etc.   Turns out,  tables are compressed to the ground,  and the people under completely smashed.   But,  those laying NEXT to the tables,  fared alive.

Live and learn,  I guess...   In a morbid sort of way.

--Shane
KD6VXI

The bathtub and cover yourself with a mattress or pillows is still the way to protect you from flying debris. The fake bathtubs might not be anchored as well, but it's the construction of the bathroom that offers the best protection.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 10:19:11 PM »

Do a GOOGLE on "tornado safe room"  There is an industry out there that supplies "safe rooms" for folks who live in tornado prone areas.    These can be attached to the home's concrete slab (for those who live in areas where there is no cellar).  The room can be located in a garage or in a spare room.  They are designed to withstand EF5 storms.

Instead of talking about bathtubs and closets those who are in tornado prone areas should be interested in investing a few thousand in a room that can be a refuge for the family.

GL es 73 Al

PS:  I added this link FYI

http://www.fema.gov/disaster/4117/updates/residential-safe-room-proved-life-saver-moore
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »

Down in Texas they are advising people to take shelter in the Cowboys Stadium in the event of a tornado.....there is no chance of a "touchdown" there..... Wink
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 01:33:40 AM »

Glad you got through it okay, Pat. Scary stuff. Your radar image looks like a protector or defender of sorts, chasing the storm off.
I believe the radar image is a divine shadow.

Down in Texas they are advising people to take shelter in the Cowboys Stadium in the event of a tornado.....there is no chance of a "touchdown" there..... Wink
It's part of the local disaster plan. The team owner will contribute to this public service work by charging only $1000 for a 1 square FT place to stand, and insuring fair access to the shelter by having security keep out those who can't pay.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 07:51:08 AM »

Excellent point   Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015