The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new single tube phone transmittter on air  (Read 2303 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »

After the success last year with my 45 tubed single tube on phone I built a 6l6 Hartley style to try this winter. Monitoring it nearby I think it sounds better but who knows? Both 1 tubers are ready to roll on 40m so on a real good day condition wise if you hear a squeak it might be me.
don
Thanks to those who worked me last year with the 45TNT deal. I believe there were four of you. Two east coast US and Two in Western Ontario. I wouldn't want to run this stuff all the time but a contact here and there is a big thrill when you look at what you DON'T have in front of you.

* PICT0013.JPG (266.58 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 539 times.)

* loop mod TNT.jpg (166.55 KB, 730x548 - viewed 465 times.)

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »

Don,

I have been following your single tube transmitter exploits with interest.  I have an early Aero kit built regen and I need to pair it with a suitable transmitter, not for frequent use but just to have a suitable era setup.

* Aero Shortwave 4.JPG (856.47 KB, 1800x1200 - viewed 514 times.)

* Aero chassis top.JPG (976.48 KB, 1800x1200 - viewed 514 times.)

* Coils.JPG (753.98 KB, 1600x1067 - viewed 501 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »

Wow, that is a real cool regen. Before I give the 6l6 deal the green light I need to make a couple of successful QSOs
however the 45 tuber is a straight forward old fashioned 1920s TNT. The loop is the same as you would use for an RF wand using a lamp (and that is an excellent way to test your loops positioning.) I had one fastened permanently on my TNT. Once Lou (VE3AWA) showed me his REL I understood immediately and hooked a Carbon Mic in place of the lamp and it worked. First test was with "The other Tim Smith" my friend VE6PG. He went out of his way to help me test it. It worked. Perfect? Perhaps not. But functional and usable? Absolutely. From the east Dave W2VW stepped to the plate and helped out with a test one evening. I did a couple phone ones after that, one from each direction and a 1/2 /1/2CW/phone contact that wasn't perfect but did work. I found that confusing so it was probably me that made it difficult.
Takes a bit of fooling around to get it ideal but it works. Best first test is take a Grid dipper and set it on choosen frequency. Put a two turn loop around the cold end of your chosen coil and hook a good carbon mic to it. Much to your surprise it will work from the git go. After that you will understand completely and it is just build, cut and try till you are happy. I also have another on a 56 tube Hartley but it is not powerful enough for long distance and I have no AMers near me at all so while it works in test it is untested in real use and shall be disregarded for now. Interestingly it is a transceiver.
don  

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015