The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:16:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Equipment Cart  (Read 8654 times)
w1vtp

« on: October 29, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »

Thanks to Walley, W1JDR for this tip.  This cart will elevate from 9" to 28"  Gives me a new capability in the shack.  When finished, just drop it down to 9" and park it under my AM station bench

Al

* NEW EQUIPMENT CART (1).jpg (1015.68 KB, 4928x3264 - viewed 615 times.)

* NEW EQUIPMENT CART (2).jpg (974.44 KB, 4928x3264 - viewed 580 times.)

* EQUIPMENT CART PARKED.jpg (855.49 KB, 3264x4134 - viewed 556 times.)
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »

Where did you find the cart?

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

Where did you find the cart?

I ordered it on line.  The store didn't have one

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730-10041.html
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:34:45 PM »

I preferred the 1000 pound capacity cart since its lift is 34 1/2 inches high and my workbench is 42 inches high.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60438-9328.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »

That one wouldn't have fit in my shack.  My parking spot wouldn't have been high enough.  I'm quickly running out of space.  The cart I got is a perfect fit for me.

Readers can make the choice.  I was told this morning on 75 that there are choices that will reach even higher - like 6 feet.

Al
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »

Yep, there are a number of different heights and capacities available in a number of places.
Here's one that can raise to 51 inches:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1784/Lift-Tables/Manual-Lift-Table-770-lb-Double-Scissor-36-x-20

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »

Maybe nice for loading things into the rack. Would beat a block and tackle anyway.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:05:26 AM »

I have thought about getting one of those lift carts myself.  With appropriate stacked boards on the top, you could also use it to put things into a rack cabinet. 

Harbor Freight has various sizes of them and frequently they have sales.  You can also almost always get 20% off the regular price.

Great thing to have around the workshop/shack, especially for us old guys.  Cheesy

73.  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »

I think the price I paid was an "on sale" price.  Unless they put up a fake mark up price and then reduce it to make the price look good

Al
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »

Very nice cart Al and I am thinking about getting something along those lines around here. 

As a reminder, the AWA AM net switches this Sunday to 4PM on 3.837 coincident with E.S.T.
Hope to hear you on!

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »

I think the price I paid was an "on sale" price.  Unless they put up a fake mark up price and then reduce it to make the price look good

Al

Their "fake mark up price" is generally their list price. So then, everything has a "Sale" price. Actually,  it would be more realistic if "Sale" was replaced with "Selling" price, but Selling Price (or normal price) is not as eye-catching. All my current coupons, which seem to pop up everywhere in publications, are only 20%. In the past, it seems more 25% coupons seem to appear during the first half of the year. Maybe we'll see some 25% coupons around the holidays.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »

I guess the trick is to find a store that has what you want.  I checked out the shipping on the one you posted yesterday Pete and it was $100.00 to ship it.  It would be nice, since we are in the computer age, if you could check online to see if your local store had one in stock.  I guess the only way to know is to call them like the good old days! 

The thing that frustrates me about Harbor Freight, is that they don't have the information on the item in the store.  I was looking at the lift table and I believe its the one that Al has, but nothing on the label to say how high it goes.  I asked the counter help and they had no clue.  I wanted one that went up a little higher than 28" for my particular use. The one on the floor would not go up so I could not measure the maximum height it would go to. 

Joe, GMS     

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 04:12:38 PM »

It's says the Max Height right in the specifications:

Name    500 lb. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart
SKU    60730
Brand    Pittsburgh Automotive
Finish    Enamel
Quantity    1
Caster size (in.)    4 in.
Maximum Lift Height (in.)    27-1/2 in.
Minimum height (in.)    8-1/8 in.
Platform size (WxL)(in.)    27-3/4 in. L x 17-5/8 in. W
Product Height    28-7/8 in.
Product Length    30-1/2 in.
Product Width    17-5/8 in.
Shipping Weight    90.80 lb.
Warranty    90 Day

The 1000 pound unit height is more:
Name    1000 lbs. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart
SKU    69148
Brand    Haul-Master
Capacity    1000 lbs.
Color    Gray
Frame material    Steel
Caster size (in.)    5 in.
Maximum Lift Height (in.)    34-1/2 in.
Minimum height (in.)    11 in.
Platform size (WxL)(in.)    20 in. W X 32 in. L
Product Height    34-1/2 in.
Product Length    37 in.
Product Weight    161 lbs.
Product Width    19-1/2 in.
Shipping Weight    190.00 lb.
Warranty    90 Day

Standard Ground shipping for Al's cart, 500 pound unit, to my location is $6.99.

w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »

Joe

The lack of support by Harbor Freight reflects my experience also.  I didn't mention it but I asked for some help by a store associate - he said "I'll be right back" and then left me hanging dry for 10+ minutes.  When I asked the checkout clerk if one was out back, he didn't know and didn't offer to call someone to help out with the question.  It's so easy to order on line that going to a store is becoming a window shopping experience.  In my case, the slightly reduced height (27 1/2") isn't all that bad.  My benches are 30" high so that only means a slight lift for me.

Well, if this raises awareness to the general ham public this thread has been most useful.  Guys, think about it.  There is a good selection out therefor lift carts and saving the back from a bad lift is well worth it.

Al
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 07:20:43 PM »

It's says the Max Height right in the specifications:

Name    500 lb. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart
SKU    60730
Brand    Pittsburgh Automotive
Finish    Enamel
Quantity    1
Caster size (in.)    4 in.
Maximum Lift Height (in.)    27-1/2 in.
Minimum height (in.)    8-1/8 in.
Platform size (WxL)(in.)    27-3/4 in. L x 17-5/8 in. W
Product Height    28-7/8 in.
Product Length    30-1/2 in.
Product Width    17-5/8 in.
Shipping Weight    90.80 lb.
Warranty    90 Day

The 1000 pound unit height is more:
Name    1000 lbs. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart
SKU    69148
Brand    Haul-Master
Capacity    1000 lbs.
Color    Gray
Frame material    Steel
Caster size (in.)    5 in.
Maximum Lift Height (in.)    34-1/2 in.
Minimum height (in.)    11 in.
Platform size (WxL)(in.)    20 in. W X 32 in. L
Product Height    34-1/2 in.
Product Length    37 in.
Product Weight    161 lbs.
Product Width    19-1/2 in.
Shipping Weight    190.00 lb.
Warranty    90 Day

Standard Ground shipping for Al's cart, 500 pound unit, to my location is $6.99.

At the store they do not display that information.  A price tag and what it is and that's about it.  If you come in off the street with a part number your OK, but otherwise your out of luck to find the spec's at the store.  That's the case at our store and I assume they are all the same.   

Joe, W3GMS

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »

Joe

The lack of support by Harbor Freight reflects my experience also.  I didn't mention it but I asked for some help by a store associate - he said "I'll be right back" and then left me hanging dry for 10+ minutes.  When I asked the checkout clerk if one was out back, he didn't know and didn't offer to call someone to help out with the question.  It's so easy to order on line that going to a store is becoming a window shopping experience.  In my case, the slightly reduced height (27 1/2") isn't all that bad.  My benches are 30" high so that only means a slight lift for me.

Well, if this raises awareness to the general ham public this thread has been most useful.  Guys, think about it.  There is a good selection out therefor lift carts and saving the back from a bad lift is well worth it.

Al

I guess these folks that work at the stores just consider it a temporary job.  Most don't seem to be that much in to helping the public.  I knew the specs were online, but they told me they don't have a computer to get online with. 

Saying that, the mail order deal is good providing shipping is reasonable.  The charges Pete quoted are very reasonable.  Maybe the 100 bucks that I was quoted was from another firm.  I have been searching all kind of places for one of these. 

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention and for the money its a great deal and your back will thank you! 

Joe, GMS     

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »

Whenever I want something from Harbor Freight, I go online first; find the item I'm considering; check the specs to see if it's really what I want; then I print the first page of the online screen; then take that printed paper with me and check the item number of what's in the store versus what I printed online. I never walk in there, or any other place where I'm considering a purchase, without my helpful paper. It saves a lot of head scratching and asking questions to sales "help" who generally don't have a clue. Sometimes, if I do need an answer to a question, I go after the store or department manager. They generally have a little more incentive to help find an answer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015