The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:20:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnets  (Read 7718 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: April 28, 2015, 01:04:18 AM »

Does anyone know about magnets?

I have two assemblies, each appears to be made of two pieces of metal 2"x3"x1/2" thick. At least one of them is a magnet, probably both because they appear just alike.

The metal looks shiny like nickel or steel and does not corrode. There is between them what seems to be an aluminum frame that holds these apart by maybe 1/8". I have not tried to see if this comes apart. Certainly it may not, without a great force. If one of these is stuck to the side of a steel rack, it is almost impossible to remove it even though a thick folded paper sack is in between it and the rack. If a 1/4-20 bolt is stuck to one, it requires pliers to even move it much less remove it.

What kind of magnets might they be that are so strong, considering the appearance?

I am a little afraid of these because I am sure they would totally mash any fingers unwise enough to come between them. Maybe can be handled with vise grips or pliers. I want to make a gap of 1", maybe by use of a jig it can be done.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »

No idea of the origin of yours, but here's some ideas.
Perhaps their strength lies in being together., not separated. I take it you want a surface volumetric field at one inch spacing for some experiments.  Try your combined magnet opposite an equal or larger sized mild steel plate.  This will get you your field at possibly half (or 1/4, inverse sq.) of what you  would have gotten had you been able to separate the magnets (if even intended to be separated.)

Now since you may still wish to try separate them, use a big steel plate to make it easier. Place your gizmo on a large, thick steel plate during the trial separation process, hence sucking up some of the magnitizing energy to make your job easier.

Whatever you do, don't bang or hammer on it to force separation. You'll demagnetize it somewhat, but you probably already knew that.

I remagnitize my headphone U's by sliding and lightly tapping them over the back of my "13,000 line" Warfedales.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »

Magnetron ??
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »

They're probably neodymium.  Small ones are used in some dynamic mics.  They are also used in speakers.  The magnets are brittle so they are encased in non-ferric constructs. They are extremely powerful and don't lose their magnetic properties easily. These are used to mount antennas to car roofs and mash fingers. By all means, don't bash on them because they are brittle.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »

Sounds like plated neodymium.

Got pix?

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
AF5J

Such is Life

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:35:34 PM »

Sounds like a Ribbon mic motor. been playing with these myself. Several sources on the internet for them. RCA 77's used them.

Such is Life
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 12:15:22 PM »

Curious, where are you finding ribbon mic elements?
I know there are some relatively inexpensive asian import ribbon mics now... but you have found just the
elements?

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WB5IRI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »

Michael Farrabee makes ribbon elements (or has a source for them, I'm not sure which): http://restomodmics.com/about/.
He has rebuilt several old microphones for me, including some Astatic 77's and a big, fat, gorgeous Astatic DR-10 with ribbon elements and red silks -- all look and sound absolutely wonderful.
Here's a YouTube clip of one of my Astatic 77's he rebuilt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBrSPuNcVHs. He's reasonable and willing to work with you on price, but he's also a craftsman and knows his stuff and what he's worth. Some people in the music business will only let him and no one else touch their microphones.

Doug
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 10:49:08 PM »

I'll get some pics next time I am in the shop. Thanks for the advice so far BTW! Use is NMR spectrometer field. Last time the available magnet was real weak and believe me my version of this experiment is very crude, so there was a ton of noise and poor resolution sensitivity.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »

Don't stick you finger in it. Grin

How you get to absolute zero. -- Nuclear magnetic resonance of paramagnetic salts.
Ohio State University, 1964

RICK  *W3RSW*
kd1nw
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »

Neat, what compounds are you analyzing? I used NMR in school studying chemistry but that been 25+ years now...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »

Sounds like a Ribbon mic motor. been playing with these myself. Several sources on the internet for them. RCA 77's used them.

the color and texture of them is as that ribbon mike unit.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 09:07:35 PM »

Ok well I should be to the lab tomorrow, I hope and will take a pic. of these magnets. Smart people here know about magnets! Very interesting these look the same as on the ribbon mikes. So this is going to be about it so far, my own experiments as well as AM radio move very slow. I don't want to take up a lot of space here since it is not AM, just want to ID the magnets & see if I want to try it again if they are better.

Magnetron is an interesting idea. I can't think of any off-hand tubes that would do for that kind of experiment.

Don't stick you finger in it. Grin

How you get to absolute zero. -- Nuclear magnetic resonance of paramagnetic salts.
Ohio State University, 1964
That is way far beyond my pay grade.

Neat, what compounds are you analyzing? I used NMR in school studying chemistry but that been 25+ years now...

I'll use Hydrogen (water) to start for testing if it works and for calibration. It's all I could ever detect with the previous unit, had about 1200 Gauss and I dissolved a couple drops of ferric nitrate in the 0.5cc or so of water to make it more sensitive as advised in the "amateur scientist" book, I have to go back to the notes. I don't understand how this made H more detectable, maybe I missed something else.

I hope I can get 0.5 to 1 Tesla from these. What helps is a magnetic field measurement set from the military that I picked up. Its probe is about 3/4" wide. before I decide the gap to use, I have to consider the diameter of any test tubes for samples and of course the width of the field modulation coils. -it's easier to modulate the field a bit to find the element than modulate the frequency.

There's a chart with these materials and their relative sensitivities to the experiments. (didn't say dB or V)
Hydrogen 1H 1.0
Oxygen 17O 0.026
Fluorine 19F 0.83 (forget that!)
Aluminum 27Al 0.21
Copper 65Cu 0.1
and a bunch of others, isotopes, other stuff. For me it has to be only what's simple and safe.

A reason for measuring the field first is the Larmor frequency, as determined by the choice of nucleus and magnetic field. So my previous experiment with Hydrogen ran about 5MHz for the RF, but if I get for example 1.2T (12000G) from the new magnets then the frequency would be about 50Mhz. It's like tightening a piano string, the tighter it is, the higher the pitch. It's a linear thing, F(Lamor freq)=x(constant for given nucleus)*B(field strength) if that's right.

The way it works is you send a pulse of RF through the sample coil, then listen on the same frequency for the spin echo from the nuclei in the molecules of the sample -they vibrate, precess on their axis, if one can believe the drawings.

The RF power is small, was small, maybe 10W the last time. But you can see it would be a PITA to sweep the frequency while pulsing and trying to listen between pulses - much more complex issue. Easiest to try to figure out the general range of the magnetic field, then measure it with the appropriate instrument, and then think about assembling the experiment the right way the first time.

So, a couple ways to measure the magnet.. either sweep the RF frequency and listen, or use an instrument to measure the Gauss.  

Realistically, it probably will be only a fraction of 1T, and because I want to have a tight gap to make the most uniform and strongest field. I am also considering using a pipette for samples which is about 1/4" diameter. A guy has a web page about his setup using what looks like a little pipette, very nice. More complex than I plan.

Edward Cain
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »

Hi Patrick,
   Having used NMR extensively in a previous life, I'm interested in your project. Are you going to post info on your apparatus and results at Bunker of Doom?

Ed/KJ4JST
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »

I will post it there once there is something to post.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015