The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 03:40:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50th for Moog  (Read 5312 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« on: October 13, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »

For you old school synth junkies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7TJyPAyTiQ&feature=youtu.be
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »

Very cool video.  The Moog was certainly the standard.

Back in 1975 I actually built my own musical synthesizer. It had about 200 controls with four VCOs, LP and bandpass filters, square wave, sine and triangle generators, white noise generators, a keyboard, sampler, balanced modulator, etc.  It used type 748 ICs as well as transistors. Built-in patch panel with 50 in/out jacks as well as lots of rotary switches to do "presets."   I made my own circuit boards and designed most of the circuitry.  GTO blue panel of course.

I planned on manufacturing them, but only built one prototype that cost me $3,000 in 1975 dollars.  There was really no market for it at the time I later found.  Silly me.

I still have the main unit and every so often take it out to hear again. Going into an external amplifier, it makes about any sound you could imagine.  When the four VCOs are running with four square wave modulators and four bandpass filters thru the balanced modulator - triggered by the various low freq oscillators, it can get quite sporting.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:41:32 AM »

Ooh what lucky men we were....I realize what a great time it was for sound back there in my youth. Very rich in innovation.
Thanks for the clip. I could hear Pink Floyds plane fly over when the board was being played with in the clip. The board affected so many albums along the way.

As long as we are on sound, not intending to hijack the thread, if you haven't seen it yet check out "Sound City" by Dave Grohl. Nice documentary on the legendary California recording studio and their Neve mixer board.

Bob
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »

Enjoyed the link. Can't believe so many oscillators, filters, etc. were built by one guy. I'd've zoned out long before because of the repetition.

I wore out my copy of 'Switched On Bach.' That was my first synth experience.
Not even sure if a Moog was used. Have to check.
Ordinary instruments sounded slow on attack after listening to it, not nearly as crisp.. Especially if played by so-so musicians.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 03:39:41 PM »

Fantastic video to watch.  It goes without saying that Moog really left his mark in the music world.  What a blast it must have been to develop all the various pieces and then tie them together to produce some unbelievable sounds.  Talk about a gift!

I remember reading about such in Popular Electronics back in the 60's when all of this was happening. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 04:47:04 PM »

Crap. I've got to finish sealing the driveway, and start on the firewood cutting and stacking (it's deadfall). And I've got to clear out brush for the 160m eL radials.  And then empty out the crap in the garage, so at least one car will fit (yeah, its gonna be the wife's). An now, now, the middle of October, I've got to find and then pull out the vinyl, rebelt the turntable, and play some ELP.

Thanks a lot Steve, now I'll be cold, the wife not too happy, and again, I'll be PW on 160 this winter.

klc

I usta have the single, "Brain Salad Surgery" on a '45. Gunna hafta find that one too.

What? Me worry?
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »

My interest in Theremins started around the time Bob died from an aggressive brain tumor. I did attend the theremin gathering, Etherfest 2008, in Asheville, NC. I met his daughter and widow; wonderful folks. Noted thereminists Lydia Kavina (related to Lev Termen), Carolina Eyck, Dorit Crysler, and Kevin Kissinger were in attendance. Chris Stack, coordinator for the event, told me Bob would have been pleased at my construction of a vacuum tube theremin (which debuted at the gathering). Bob was taken from us way too early. His absence is sorely felt by the theremin community….the company's latest offering, the Theremini, has been roundly and rightly slammed by the precision theremin community at large. Needless to say, the company is NOT the same.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »

TNX for posting  Enjoyed the video.  Never knew what made these things tick.  Must have been fun doing the development.  A lucky man indeed.  Must have been a challenge to get the oscillators stable in the early versions.  Loved the patch cords.  Just imagine if Steve QIX had invented the synthesizer....clip leads would have become famous  Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015