The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:58:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Behringer Xenyx 802-8 Mixer  (Read 5068 times)
wa2aar

« on: September 09, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »

Hi ALL
 I am looking for some help. I was given a Behringer Xenyx 802-8  channel audio mixer. I would like to use it on my equipment. Now I am able to connect the mic and the head phones to it and can hear the changes in the audio and I chance the settings. But here is my problem. Where to I take the output of the mixer to the input of the rig? Can someone please help me out? My email is wa2aar@outlook.com

Thank You 

Bob – WA2AAR
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:29:34 AM »

Go to GOOGLE and download the manual...  Copy the name then paste to the google search line (box) and click on the manual line... All the information available on the 4 mixers they make (12 page pdf) are there ...

Simple, no.     Roll Eyes

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:51:04 AM »

http://www.behringer.com/assets/502_802_1002_1202_M_EN.pdf

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:38:18 AM »

I would caution the use of the mixer with high power operations. Legal limit output. You will open a big can of worms of RFI to your station, if connection to and from the mixer is not done properly using balanced audio connections. High impedance mics and unbalanced connections in and out of the mixer could be affected by the presence of high power operation of your rig. 100 watts might not be an issue, depends on the frequency.
There should be some info on AMFONE about audio connections to a transmitter and the use of mixers, like in a broadcast station.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »

Hi ALL
 I am looking for some help. I was given a Behringer Xenyx 802-8  channel audio mixer. I would like to use it on my equipment. Now I am able to connect the mic and the head phones to it and can hear the changes in the audio and I chance the settings. But here is my problem. Where to I take the output of the mixer to the input of the rig? Can someone please help me out? My email is wa2aar@outlook.com

Thank You 

Bob – WA2AAR

Hi Bob,

Mixer outputs are designed to be operated at much higher levels than microphones.  Your transmitter input stage has lots of gain since its expecting a low signal level from your microphone.  Most mixers do have an output level control and you could turn that way down.  The problem with that approach is you will be dealing with levels where the mixer output gain is almost down to zero.  Also, operating at that point on the pot, the signal to noise ratio tends to not be as good.  So as a bare minimum, I would suggest a resistive divider network to drop the level down to be compatible with your mic level input on the transmitter.  I would adjust the mixer output level so the control is around 50% and then from that level you can create a divider to get you down to mic level for your transmitter.  I would determine what that divider needs to be with the gain control on the rig also around 50%.  The output impedance of the mixer is low, so the divider network will not load the mixer.  I would shoot for a load on the mixer around 1K or so.   I would put the divider as close to your mic jack on the rig as possible.  That way you can run higher level audio on the interconnecting cable. 

Another way to do it is to go into the next audio stage on the transmitter providing the mixer has enough output level to drive that point.  I would consider that a preffered approach but you maty not want to go that far.

Yea, you "may" have some RF issues and you may not.  Take it a step at a time and solve the problems as you proceed.   

Joe, GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
k7iou

Johnson Viking Five Hundred

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »

I bought a Shure SR-107 and repaired it. The manual states it needed line voltage for microphone input. I purchased a phono preamp and repurposed it by removing the phono circuit. I use it with my Valiant and Ranger and it works very well. I transmitted into my dummy load while my R390a (it's paired with my Five Hundred) was listening without an antenna. I have a computer connected to it on the diode load and I record my audio with Cool Edit 2000. I would play the audio back and you could see the wave form. I adjusted the equalizer for best audio.
Your mixer states it has 2 mic preamps. They may work for proper gain but you would have to test it to be sure with your microphone. I remember a friend hooked up one similar to your model to his Five Hundred. He couldn't record it like I did. He was on the air talking to another ham. The other ham said turn up the 1k pot turn up the 2k pot etc. when he was done it sounded great!
Have fun with your Behringer Xenyx 802-8 Mixer!
73 de k7iou

de k7iou
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »

If I'm not mistaken the Xenyx 802-8 is balanced input, and unbalanced output. The same with the Eurorack UB1202FX that I have. I had hoped that it had balanced output but I was slightly disappointed to find out is was unbalanced.. None the less, if you use the Xenyx with a transmitter a snap on RFI choke can be used at the input (as close to the transmitter's input as possible). I have no problem with RF getting into my audio, and I have twisted pair on the input. That could be a result of the higher output level. But I still have a snap on RFI choke just in case (Radio Shack).

I have a simple balun for my audio chain. It converts the balanced line into unbalanced. (Figure 2 on the link below).  Luckily the transmitter is line level input not mic level input. Currently, my output comes out of my EQ, and into the balun,  then into the  transmitter.

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

I'm not using my board at the moment. There is not enough space on the desk for it.

I like Behringer gear. Some people hate it because it's cheap, but despite the price I don't see or hear anything bad about it. I have a rack full of Behringer gear. I have the Eurorack (currently out of the chain) , a voice processor (mic preamp), a digital effects processor. and an EQ. In that order in the chain.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »

Install the audio connector of your choice or use the present mic connector. Install at .05uf capacitor from the mic jack to the top of the mic gain control.
You didn't mention what rig you are using so a more detailed suggestion isn't possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015