The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:30:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W3GMS / Museum page started  (Read 6847 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:29 AM »

Ultimately I want to have a web page for my museum, but for now I created a page on Facebook.  I have been doing postings on some of the early vintage things radio related.  These will be on display,  but for now you can get a peek on Facebook.  I try to put one thing new on per day. 

If you have a Facebook account, just search on W3GMS

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »

Wishing you well Joe.  A site dedicated to your museum is a fine idea. I'm Not on Facebook these days so await your webpage. I see FB's value is estimated in the $200 bil. Range on Bloomberg.  ..and to think I thought it was just another kid site not to many years ago.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »

Normally I would not have a FB account but I have found its a good way to be able to communicate with my daughter!  She rarely checks her phone messages, but if I sent him a PM via Facebook I get a response back with her almost instantly.  It must be that 10G stuff ;-) It also lets me see family pictures that I would normally not get to see. 

So all in all its ok.  Like any other tool it can be misused as well. 

It was so easy for me to set up the W3GMS / Ercildoun Amateur Wireless Museum page that I figured it would allow me to get my feet wet until I get someone to do a website for the Museum. 

Joe, GMS

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »

Yeah, understand. I get phantom copies of stuff going in and out of Sue's FB acct., mostly from our kids and all their friends, some old biz associates of hers and from the world that's not aware of current conditions here, etc.
 I  tell her about or show her pix from them. Nothing against it other than I already spend way too much time even on plain ol' email.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 04:01:48 PM »

Even I signed up for FB not to long ago. Seems many of my relatives are already on it. When I did my profile, for fun and giggles, I picked the oldest year listed for date of birth (1905). Within a few minutes of signing up, I got about a dozen e-mails from some very very old strange looking people that wanted to be "my friend" none of which I knew. I've been meaning to go back and edit my profile from 1905 to 1989 to see who now wants to be my friend.  Cool

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »

Even I signed up for FB not to long ago. Seems many of my relatives are already on it. When I did my profile, for fun and giggles, I picked the oldest year listed for date of birth (1905). Within a few minutes of signing up, I got about a dozen e-mails from some very very old strange looking people that wanted to be "my friend" none of which I knew. I've been meaning to go back and edit my profile from 1905 to 1989 to see who now wants to be my friend.  Cool

That's funny Pete!  If you do the edit as you suggested, you may have to get a camera like Ken, W2DTC has just to record the memories!!

Joe, GMS

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »

"  That's funny Pete!  If you do the edit as you suggested, you may have to get a camera like Ken, W2DTC has just to record the memories!!  "

I'd settle for some of his subject matter.

klc

What? Me worry?
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »

Joe,

I would strongly advise against using Farcebarf for more than casual banter.

It is not useful as an archival site. You need a regular webpage, or perhaps if you want comments, then put up a "blog" site. Blogs work out to be a combination of webpage and forum. It permits postings with your text, and for people to comment as well.

Farcebarf just scrolls off the page, and is more or less lost over time, very quickly.

If you need advice or help with a blog page, I expect many here can advise, and others elsewhere can as well. The expense is nominal.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »

I  certainly agree about FB.  I  do want to do a full  fledged website, but just not right now.  The FB page is just a way to give some of the stuff I have been doing some exposure and to share the journey.  So far I have gotten some very nice comments but fully realize its not the final solution.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Joe, GMS   

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:02:05 PM »

Despite not trusting FB, I agree it is a temporary solution for a first time web page.

However there are hosts out there like westhost with 'unlimited' space and good speed for cheap. 50GB space and 1TB monthy data can be $4 a month, or unlimited bandwidth&data-hog level of service for $12 a month. I found their svc. least restrictive with less catches and money-costing gotchas.

I am not hawking their service but as an example of what is cheap and seems good. The purpose of my post is to say that FB may be a good place to practice, but it has limits on how you can make things look, and apparently forces all guests to 'log in' to see your stuff (which is why some folks will never see it, and why google may incompletely rank it)

There's nothing like a real host because you can totally build the site on your PC, upload it to the host, and that you can also move to another host later, if you have to move it. There is free software to point and click and create/test the web page on your own computer, then other free software to upload it to a host. You always keep control and a local copy so it's always backed up, and are not at the whim of the host for anything.

Good on you for putting up something, it is more than most people ever do!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »

Despite not trusting FB, I agree it is a temporary solution for a first time web page.

However there are hosts out there like westhost with 'unlimited' space and good speed for cheap. 50GB space and 1TB monthy data can be $4 a month, or unlimited bandwidth&data-hog level of service for $12 a month. I found their svc. least restrictive with less catches and money-costing gotchas.

I am not hawking their service but as an example of what is cheap and seems good. The purpose of my post is to say that FB may be a good place to practice, but it has limits on how you can make things look, and apparently forces all guests to 'log in' to see your stuff (which is why some folks will never see it, and why google may incompletely rank it)

There's nothing like a real host because you can totally build the site on your PC, upload it to the host, and that you can also move to another host later, if you have to move it. There is free software to point and click and create/test the web page on your own computer, then other free software to upload it to a host. You always keep control and a local copy so it's always backed up, and are not at the whim of the host for anything.

Good on you for putting up something, it is more than most people ever do!

Thanks for all the suggestions and I agree with all the points you raised. 

We all have interest in various areas and when the time comes, I want to find and pay someone to do the website for me.  The small amount of money is of no concern, but I want a product that looks good and is not overly complicated for people to use.  I am a fan of tabs and that along with some pictures and some write-ups will make me happy! 

For me the computer is a tool.  I never developed any interest in playing around with them, but like them to do the job I am doing!! 

Yep, FB is only a temporary way to share some of what I am doing.  As you said, its better than doing nothing.  I think I will have things completed to the point of enabling the work on the web site this Fall if I  can continue to carve out time to work downstairs on the rooms. 

Thanks for  all your great thoughts.

Joe, GMS       

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »

New update over on W3GMS FB concerning an antique condenser microphone you may enjoy.

Joe, GMS   

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »

It might be more useful for some to include the link to your page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/W3GMS/698608260225256

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »

It might be more useful for some to include the link to your page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/W3GMS/698608260225256

See Pete, that's why your the moderator, your so smart  Wink.....Just kidding, but your right, its an excellent idea to post the link.  Nothing like one click shopping. 

I will just post an update now and then on here since I don't want it to be a regular thing. 

Today the addition was a very old condenser mic built from a kit sometime in the late 20's or early 30's that I got from a good friend before he became an SK.

Joe, GMS

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »

Tidbits on museum pieces along with Spark and storage requirements over on W3GMS. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/W3GMS/698608260225256 

Joe, W3GMS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015