The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:20:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRZ Thread About AM  (Read 5299 times)
K4RT
Contributing

« on: October 15, 2014, 10:49:25 AM »

An interesting - and mostly favorable - QRZ.com thread about AM on the ham bands:  http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?453584-AM-Phone-The-Slight-Return
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »

Nearly all positive comments other than a few of the typical P&M artists and the QRZ gurus (my opinion on everything is important).

The original poster seems a little clueless on how much AM activity there is currently and has been for years. I'm guessing that's a pretty common thing among the wider amateur radio population. Good to see some becoming informed.

An interesting - and mostly favorable - QRZ.com thread about AM on the ham bands:  http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?453584-AM-Phone-The-Slight-Return
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:19:20 AM »

I agree and its nice to see a good percentage of comments on the positive side.  I am sure if the same comment was made in the mid 60's the comments would have been quite a bit different!  My personal believe is that we have come a long way concerning being an excepted alternative mode.  Some of that I believe has come by the great examples a lot of folks operating AM exhibit on the air. 

And Yes, we do not have to be on the cover of every magazine  Wink

Joe. GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:03:02 AM »

I see that Wb2wik is back to his anti am drivel. Funny thing, he joined amforever.com, and might even be a member of this board. It is also interesting, earlier this year, while supposedly timing Timmy's transmission on 12m (who was in QSO with me), he was tuning up right on top of Tim. The guy is a real piece of work.

I'd much rather hear a long conversation about 12AX7's versus 12AT7's instead of a fast break in QSO comparing blood pressure medicines.

Related topic:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=35967.0

Wd5JKO
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »

I see that Wb2wik is back to his anti am drivel. Funny thing, he joined amforever.com, and might even be a member of this board. It is funny, while supposedly timing Timmy's transmission on 12m, he was tuning up right on top of him. The guy is a real piece of work
Wd5jko

That's really surprising to me about Steve _WIK.  I have really never knew him all that well but did have a business relationship with a company he represented when my career was first getting started in the 70's.  In fact, I thought he had some AM gear at one time.  To me this is all very petty stuff and granted its annoying but its time to move on.  We will always face negative situations on the air and that's just a part of life.  If one is annoyed at the length of transmission someone makes just QSY off frequency and call CQ and start another QSO.  If that person then asks why you left just tell them they talk to long!   

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:01 AM »

I think the "piece of work" may just be anti-social, with an instant gratification mindset. If one actually takes time to LISTEN, you can learn stuff from some of these classic old buzzard transmissions. "You're 599, GL, Best DX, bye" kinda contact is really not suited to the whole concept of AM.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »

[...] If one actually takes time to LISTEN, you can learn stuff from some of these classic old buzzard transmissions. "You're 599, GL, Best DX, bye" kinda contact is really not suited to the whole concept of AM.

True. But there's nothing wrong with fast break-in either. A lot of AMers, especially the hi-fi guys, use fast break-in and have done so since I started listening in 1968.

When I join a QSO, I usually adapt myself to the style of operating already in use, and my PTT switch-holding muscles are highly developed. But I do like break-in the best.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »

Nah, too social. Wants to the center of every thread on QRZ.

I've never understood the need to P&M or comment on how others operate. As long as they aren't interfering with you, who cares how they operate or what they talk about?

I think the "piece of work" may just be anti-social, with an instant gratification mindset. If one actually takes time to LISTEN, you can learn stuff from some of these classic old buzzard transmissions. "You're 599, GL, Best DX, bye" kinda contact is really not suited to the whole concept of AM.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »

one said: "Should we be formalizing and recognizing this place for AM on the bands? "

I'm not going to mix in the other discussion, but AM is like a cat. It does not care if its presence is formalized or recognized according to others. The discussion is interesting, including the naysayers and the rest.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »

HA! I like the cat analogy.

* laugh.jpg (148.01 KB, 625x770 - viewed 436 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »

Nice hem.

What'd you pay that cat to look so purrty aggravated?

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015