The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:27:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R105/ARR-15 receiver  (Read 3146 times)
KG6YDI

« on: September 09, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »

I went to the Lincoln, Ca. swap meet and a R105/ARR-15 followed me home, all 39 pounds of radio. I've found a little about it on various websites. Does anybody have any comments or suggestions of getting it operating.
                                             Marv. KG6YDI
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:53:30 PM »

I was at Lincoln too and saw the same receiver but since I already have one didn't give it much of a look. I haven't done anything with the one I have other than ask a few guys questions, the main comment is the that the receiver is a bit wide for use on crowded ham bands.

Jeff, K7JCA, has a write up on his website, he is often at the De Anza College Swap here in the Bay Area, here is a link to his website.

http://k6jca.blogspot.com/search/label/R-105%2FARR-15%20Receiver
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:40:21 AM »

Elegant approach.  I'm saving that for other possible applications!  b.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »

That was one of my first surplus purchases at the old Deerfield hamfester in 1990. I had heard about the receiver because I had the 73 magazine June 1965 surplus issue which was one of the few ham mags that I had as a kid. It had articles on the R-508 command receiver, High Power with an ART-13 and an article on the R105/ARR-15 called A Surplus Gold Mine. Not knowing any better, I did the conversion by the article and used the set pretty much as described. I remember that the autotune was completely removed and a larger tuning knob was added with no backlash, and an onboard AC supply was added. Boy was that receiver stable and as accurate as a frequency standard. But with a tunable IF scheme it was a broad affair with no real way to achieve any selectivity. 

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015