The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:25:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRO 50T  (Read 3354 times)
w4rcy

« on: August 09, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »

I have just purchased one and have to pay shipping.  How much does it weigh? How much do the coils weigh. Tx tom w4rcy
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »

http://www.radioing.com/museum/rx5.html

Per this source, it weighs about 65lbs.  Not listed in the manual.

Shipping?  From Afghanistan to the Gaza Strip via donkey courier and tunnel?  Wink

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »

And that's physical weight. Shipping weight would be higher unless the plan is to ship it without any box or packing. And then, how it's shipped and by what carrier would vary the shipping price.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:52:37 PM »

Proper packing will add at least 10 and probably 15 to 20 pounds to it.  Although it can be shipped with one of the coil drawers in place I know of 2 that suffered cracked contact bars from rough handling when shipped with a coil in place so I would avoid shipping it that way to reduce risk.  Tubes should either be removed or plenty of packing should be put in the top to restrain any tubes that come loose because a single tube bouncing around can do an incredible amount of damage.

Rodger WQ9E
w4rcy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »

I think the 65# quote probably covers coils and speakers.  I just talked with the seller. The bathroom scale weight is 54# with coils.  I agree that tubes should be taken care of.  I am asking that it be shipped using sheets of insulation foam on all sides. The coils will be in a separate box.   Shipping is never a sure thing.  I shipped an HRO 50 to the west coast via ups and it arrived bent into a U.  They refused to honor the insurance.  The weight quotes vary greatly from one source to another, #45 to 95#.  73 Tom w4rcy
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:17:24 PM »

ups insurance is a fraud.   Never had them honor a claim (either time)  even when their agent packed the amplifier.

Last straw was them denyimg an amplifier because they said it was an antique....   And me showing them in a current catalog the amplifier offered for sale new.

--Shane
KD6VXI
w4rcy

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »

Grin HRO 50T Arrived a few days ago looking a little tired from all those years.  Spent 24 hours bringing up voltage, Then turned each of the knobs several times. Sound but nothing recognizable, maybe A real challenge?? I only have basic tools and iron.   Pulled the tubes, and took them a friend in the club for testing, all tested good.  Not what I wanted? So dove into the bottom," humm" this transformer is loose, oh a broken wire, solder applied, replaced tubes, did a little cleaning, plugged it back in.  Twisted all the knobs a couple of times and "RADIO HAVANA" with some hot latin music blasting through the shack!!! Best sound I have gotten for
200 clams.   I am screaming through the house…I am the MAN…The Radio Man…The hear Havana Radio Man.  The family doesn't understand….but I think this is Really…Really enjoyable!!!!
WQ9E

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »

Glad you got it running!  But pull the bottom cover and check one more item.  A lot of the National radios of this era have a .1 capacitor connected between one of the rectifier tube plates and ground.  If you find this capacitor, snip it out.  It isn't needed but it often fails and when that happens it will take out the power transformer and the fuse will NOT "blow" in time to save the transformer. 

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015