The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:46:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perhaps a homebrew AM rig in the future  (Read 14217 times)
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 02:21:24 AM »

For those of you who have large schematics that are getting older, the FedEx Store/Kinkos has a scanner that will do 42 inches wide x unlimited length.

I had them scan the 3 ft x 5 ft master schematic for my Gates BC-1G. The blueprint had been folded since 1955, was very blue overall and had many splits at the folds. They successfully scanned it, without damaging the original and showed me the original scan which had all the visual  faults of the original and then ran it through their clean-up program which got it back to near original 1955 look. The whole process with scanning the large print, scanning the whole manual, including three large fold out schematics, and printing three copies of everything cost just about $100.00. They even included the fancy folds on the fold out schematics in the spiral bound copies and a thumb drive with the whole thing on it. I was seriously impressed!

The problem with large engineering-type drawings done back in the "good old days" with very acidic processes and using today's automatic clean-up programs (I've used the FedEX/Kinko machines in the past) is that they can't always distinguish dark fold line areas from actual circuit lines especially when they fall on top of each other. Where the dark fold lines fall over circuit information, you generally have to go to a manual process and clean it up by hand. One tip to remember if you have any of these old large engineering-type drawings with multiple folds. At each fold where one side of the actual drawing side lays on the another drawing side (I call it the "print-to-print" side), put a clean sheet of white paper between them at the fold. This will reduce both printed sides from interacting with each other making even wider darker areas at the fold points.

I've diddled with hundreds of these engineering-type drawings (2X, 4X, 6X, 8X) over the years that have dark fold lines and where paper that has turned various shades of brown. In many cases, when machine cleanup processes get you only so far, water-based "white out", will take you the rest of the way. Sometimes, depending on the drawing and the nature of its faults, reverse imaging processes (white on black rather then black on white) actually work better to produce a good useful drawing.

This is how the 36 x 70 inch main schematic came out after cleanup...

http://bh.hallikainen.org//uploads/GregCotton/Blueprint36X70.pdf

It was ugly before they cleaned it up, I'm not sure how much of that was manual work and how much was the automation.

I dumped the whole manual and schematics into the archive over there if anyone needs it.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 03:23:07 AM »

This is how the 36 x 70 inch main schematic came out after cleanup...

http://bh.hallikainen.org//uploads/GregCotton/Blueprint36X70.pdf

It was ugly before they cleaned it up, I'm not sure how much of that was manual work and how much was the automation.

I dumped the whole manual and schematics into the archive over there if anyone needs it.

No manual cleanup. It looks they just reduced background contrast and lightened intensity almost probably to its limit. That's why some of the circuit lines are almost completely washed out. One way around that would have been to make a finished copy before the lines start to wash out and then run it though the machine again at 75% (rather then 100%) and with reduced background contrast. Since the copy is now 25% smaller, the circuit lines actually would look darker and more background junk would disappear.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015