The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:41:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters 5T  (Read 5431 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: July 16, 2014, 10:08:26 AM »

I am starting a restoration project on a Hallicrafters 5T that was given to me many years ago.  It will require a total rebuild since someone basically gutted it.  The original owner is now 98 years old and this was his first receiver.  I would very much to get it working while he is still around. 

I have searched all over the place for a manual, but have been unable to locate one.  I did find a Rider copied schematic so I do have at least a basic schematic for it.  My 5T is the one without the Boy on the dial.  The vintage of this receiver is middle 30's. 

So if anyone has any ideas about where I can find any documentation I would appreciate it.  I even check my favorite manual source "The Manual Man" but he has nothing. 

Here are a couple of photo's of the receiver in its current condition. 

Joe, W3GMS   

* IMG_1094A.jpg (86.36 KB, 1024x575 - viewed 431 times.)

* IMG_1101A.jpg (73.86 KB, 1024x575 - viewed 376 times.)

* IMG_1116A.jpg (3459.07 KB, 4000x2248 - viewed 453 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »

Lots of bad solder joints and a few zorch marks..

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »

The Hallicrafters S-19 is basically a re-packaged 5T with the same features and functions. They moved some stuff around the chassis and used more recent tubes (for that time period). If you need manual verbiage, the S-19 (but not the S-19R) manual probably would be helpful.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:12 PM »

The Hallicrafters S-19 is basically a re-packaged 5T with the same features and functions. They moved some stuff around the chassis and used more recent tubes (for that time period). If you need manual verbiage, the S-19 (but not the S-19R) manual probably would be helpful.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for that information and that may be the solution.  I need to see if I have a S-19 manual.  I have pretty much all the later Sky Buddy receivers.  Not that I went looking for them, but they just started appearing on my door step some 40 years ago.  

The 5T is unique and as mentioned, I would like to restore it so my 98 year old Ham friend see's his first receiver bring in some signals.  I fully realize that its a bad receiver!!!  

If I can't find a 5T manual and I don't have one for the S-19 I will be in contact with you.

This year in the AWA Review, the 5T was covered in a very well done article.  I contacted the author to see if he could be of any help.  So far I have not gotten a response back but I just sent him the email yesterday.

Joe, GMS  

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »

The BFO setup is really cool
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »

The BFO setup is really cool
Carl
/KPD

Yep Carl, it appears to be a separate box.  I have never seen a remote BFO before! I wonder if the chassis was for general SWL use before it was offered as a Ham set? 

Joe, GMS 

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »

That is a really nice looking set. Hope you get it working.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 06:29:19 PM »

That is a really nice looking set. Hope you get it working.

Thanks! 

It a unique receiver and not a lot of them around plus I really want to get it working so the original owner can hear it before he becomes an SK. 

Joe, W3GMS

W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:48:47 PM »

Joe, if you have received your AWA Review Vol. 27, check out the front cover then go to pp.273-288 for a terrific in-depth article with schematics on the entire Sky Buddy family by Erich Brueschke. His e-mail address is listed if you would like to contact him for additional information.

[Pse send me Woody's current e-mail and street addresses. TNX.]

Bob - NE
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 07:17:26 AM »

Joe, if you have received your AWA Review Vol. 27, check out the front cover then go to pp.273-288 for a terrific in-depth article with schematics on the entire Sky Buddy family by Erich Brueschke. His e-mail address is listed if you would like to contact him for additional information.

[Pse send me Woody's current e-mail and street addresses. TNX.]

Bob - NE

I did send Erich an email but thus far have not received a response.  Reading his fine paper that he wrote on the 5T and the other Sky Buddy receives is what woke me up!   I figured I better get moving on this project plus it gives me a break from the museum construction. 

Woody has the same email address but I am not sure how often he checks it.  I will send you an email with his new address.  This morning I go over to his new QTH to put up an HF antenna for him.  I will also look into his VHF options over since I know he would like to get back on 2 as well. 

Joe - W3GMS 

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »

After not getting any responses from my quest for the 5T manual, I sent an email to Chuck Dachas better know as the Hallicrafters Collector.  Chuck responded that he indeed would make a copy of his manual for me and gave me the cost.  So that should really help in my restoration project of the 5T.   Chuck is really not in the manual business, but if you can't find one after searching those that produce manuals, he will help. 

I sent the money to him and after he receives the check, he will send a copy up to me. 

This project is strictly sentimental otherwise it would make little sense to do.   

Joe, W3GMS 

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »

Another great break on the 5T!  A friend had one in storage and loaned it to me so I can restore the one I have.  The agreement is, that I will get his up and running as well. 

Since mine was gutted, it will much easier to get the physicals of the receiver as they should be.   

No Problem!! 

Joe, W3GMS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015