The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:13:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL National Convention this weekend  (Read 7508 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« on: July 16, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »

NEAR-Fest has a booth and I'm headed down there tomorrow with the Timtron and eight more of our staff along for the ride.  Our booth number is 217.  Drop by and say "hi".

It's gonna be an interesting weekend.  

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »

I hope the Convention  is successful. We have 1000 people I think at the little ham com in Plano, but when it was the Convention there were many more it seemed.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »

I suspected they're only counting invited guests, dignitaries, exhibitors, people who like to drag themselves early to anything, etc. or maybe they just dropped a zero off of each number or maybe the Pre-Function Area can only hold that amount of people.

The Exhibit Hall featuring ARRL program representatives, Amateur Radio manufacturers, equipment sellers, and an indoor flea market opens on Friday 9 AM. Forums also open at 9 AM

I'll be there Saturday morning mainly at the KJI Electronics booths dazzling folks with some new products.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »

WTIC 1080 reported that they estimate 8,000 to 10,000 for the event from all over the world and the US.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WB2CAU

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »

I think that the ARRL conventions are held every few years at various locations in the Northeast tied to hamfests.  Why not suggest that some year in the future it be combined with Nearfest at Deerfield?  That would boost exposure to the fine facilities at Deerfield and bring an even bigger crowd to future Nearfests.  That should be a win-win situation, right?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »

"ARRL Chief Operating Officer and Convention Co-Chair Harold Kramer, WJ1B, will preside at the official Centennial Convention opening ceremony at 8:30 AM on Friday, in the Pre-Function Area in from of the ARRL Centennial Ballroom on Level 6. Kramer and President Craigie will welcome the anticipated 500 to 1000 attendees.  

It looks like he is talking about 500 to 1,000 attendees at the Opening Ceremony, not the entire event

/KPD
Carl

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »

I think that the ARRL conventions are held every few years at various locations in the Northeast tied to hamfests.  Why not suggest that some year in the future it be combined with Nearfest at Deerfield?  That would boost exposure to the fine facilities at Deerfield and bring an even bigger crowd to future Nearfests.  That should be a win-win situation, right?

ARRL sanctioned hamfests or conventions are held in a number of locations each year in the U.S.
The ARRL Centennial Convention will be held every 100 years; this is the first one.
For the New England Division: FEMARA Inc. (BOXBORO) is the organization that sponsors and runs the ARRL New England Division Convention. Boxboro will be back August 21-23, 2015.

ARRL Sanctioned Hamfest or Convention, Rules and Regulations

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »

The ARRL Centennial Convention will be held every 100 years; this is the first one.
For the New England Division:[/b]
I'm waiting for the next Centennial Convention. I'll let them get the bugs straightened out with this one.
Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »

The ARRL 3014 Millennium bash blockbuster -  Hiram gets revived out of cryogenic sleep as the keynote speaker.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WB2CAU

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:07:48 PM »

The ARRL 3014 Millennium bash blockbuster -  Hiram gets revived out of cryogenic sleep as the keynote speaker.

T

No, Tom.  You should make the correction in your planner so that you won't miss Hiram.  It will not be in 3014, it will be in 2914.   Grin

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »

No, Tom.  You should make the correction in your planner so that you won't miss Hiram.  It will not be in 3014, it will be in 2914.   Grin

Whew, glad you caught that, Eric.   I, too, planned to get awakened for the bash.   And thanks to you, I didn't schedule my inter-galaxy tour with Virgin Airlines 100 years late!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »

MrMike confided in George, W1LSB, and myself this morning at the ARRL National Convention that he party'd with contesters the night before. MrMike indicated they seem to be "OK" kind of people but I noticed MrMike seem to be speaking somewhat in tongues and syllables and was greeting everyone with "you're 5-9"  Cheesy

All in all, the Convention/exhibits, etc. seemed to be very well put together. I spent the majority of Saturday morning on the exhibit floor doing what I like to do, talking to people and hawking products. Saw a number of AM'ers in and around the exhibit hall including one that had his arms wrapped around one of those multi-multi-buttoned/knobby rigs.

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »

MrMike confided in George, W1LSB, and myself this morning at the ARRL National Convention that he party'd with contesters the night before.

Actually Pete, you ain't far off.  The weekend before I did attend the WRTC2014 in Westborough MA with the contest crowd.  The best in the world were there.  I represented NEAR-Fest which was a WRTC2014 Organizational Sponsor.  The following weekend I was hob-nobbing with the League crowd.

NEAR-Fest has become the premier radio event here in the Northeast and those of us who represent it have to put aside any possible personal likes and dislikes in order to do our job effectively.  I enjoyed myself both weekends and learned a lot as well as making some new friends.

Besides, we all have one thing in common: we are all licensed amateur radio operators and in general a pretty good bunch of guys and gals.

See you at Deerfield.  It's only a few more miles down the road from Hartford.

MrMike

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »

I think that the ARRL conventions are held every few years at various locations in the Northeast tied to hamfests.  Why not suggest that some year in the future it be combined with Nearfest at Deerfield?  That would boost exposure to the fine facilities at Deerfield and bring an even bigger crowd to future Nearfests.  That should be a win-win situation, right?
The ARRL New England Division Convention is held every two years at Boxborough MA.  There was supposed to be one this year but won't be held because of the Hartford National.  I am told that there will be one in 2015.

We could not even think of holding it in conjunction with NEAR-Fest because there are no facilities at the Fairgrounds for such an event which is best held in a hotel or convention center.  Plus even if such facilities did exist since we are not a "sanctioned" ARRL event it would never fly.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »

Off the Boxboro.org web site

SPECIAL NOTICE:
In celebration of the 100th aniversary of the ARRL,
the 2014 New England Convention will be held in Hartford, CT. More Information.
There will be NO Boxboro! convention in 2014.
We look forward to seeing you on August 21-22-23, 2015.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 08:49:21 PM »

Don't have to wait another 100 years.

At the convention, Craigie said, she saw some youngsters in strollers who likely will be around for the League's 150th anniversary in 2064.

For a recap on the convention, see ARRL LETTER, dated 7/24/14:
http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter?issue=2014-07-24

Burt
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 06:43:42 AM »

The article quotes Chris Imlay, ARRL lawyer as saying, ""People don't always get to choose where they live," 
That is not exactly what he said when I was there, he said, ""People don't get to choose where they live."
The first alleged statement is a stretch, what he actually said is without any merit.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »

The article quotes Chris Imlay, ARRL lawyer as saying, ""People don't always get to choose where they live," 
That is not exactly what he said when I was there, he said, ""People don't get to choose where they live."
The first alleged statement is a stretch, what he actually said is without any merit.

His title actually is ARRL General Counsel.

It's terrible that he mislead all the forum listeners with such a statement. Bad man!

WB2CAU

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »

At the convention, Craigie said, she saw some youngsters in strollers who likely will be around for the League's 150th anniversary in 2064.

I sincerely doubt that ham radio or the ARRL will exist as we know it in 50 years.   Sad

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31:51 PM »

I sincerely doubt that ham radio or the ARRL will exist as we know it in 50 years.   Sad

With technology advances as time moves forward even at the hobby level, I would expect both amateur radio and the ARRL will adjust to the changes. Over the last 100 years, there have been many changes in the world of amateur radio and we continued to move forward without too many bumps in the road.

Burt
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »

His title actually is ARRL General Counsel.

It's terrible that he mislead all the forum listeners with such a statement. Bad man!

Thank for the proper title.
He did not mislead anyone, no one with common sense would believe his statement.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 10:59:09 PM »

" He did not mislead anyone, no one with common sense would believe his statement. "

B,

That is a good one!

KLC

What? Me worry?
WB2CAU

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »

With technology advances as time moves forward even at the hobby level, I would expect both amateur radio and the ARRL will adjust to the changes. Over the last 100 years, there have been many changes in the world of amateur radio and we continued to move forward without too many bumps in the road.

If there are no younger people entering the hobby to replace us when we die off, where will future hams come from?  Today's youth does not have the fascination with radio that we had when we were growing up.  I really wish I was wrong about this because I don't want to see the hobby die any more than you do.  The next 50 years will not be anything like the last 50 years.  Neither you or I will be around in 50 years to see anyway, and either will the overwhelming majority of today's licensed hams. 

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »

If there are no younger people entering the hobby to replace us when we die off, where will future hams come from?  Today's youth does not have the fascination with radio that we had when we were growing up.  I really wish I was wrong about this because I don't want to see the hobby die any more than you do.  

I firmly believe you are wrong. At the ARRL Centennial, there were at least five youth forums. See the Program Guide: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Centennial%202014/Centennial_Program_Guide.pdf Young hams were wandering all over the exhibit area.

See also The Future of Amateur Radio: http://www.arrl.org/youth
And in June of this year: Friedrichshafen “Ham Radio” 2014 Attendance Tops Last Year’s Numbers, Show Emphasizes Youth. http://www.arrl.org/news/friedrichshafen-ham-radio-2014-attendance-tops-last-year-s-numbers-show-emphasizes-youth

Amateur radio and Scouting:

MARS
http://www.arrl.org/news/army-mars-demonstrates-ale-courts-young-volunteers-at-arrl-national-centennial-convention

I wouldn't gauge the future of amateur radio by what(who) you see or don't see at hamfests or by all the Internet amateur radio prognosticators. Amateur radio will survive and flourish long after we're all gone. Will it be different; probably to some extent; change is inevitable and change isn't always bad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015