The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:55:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Tuner Question  (Read 2964 times)
W4RFM

« on: April 27, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »

Okay I should know this, but my mind is getting foggy. I have just put up a couple of MFJ 1777 Doublet antennas.  One is pointing north-south, one east-west. I have the proper MFJ W9INN Balun boxes , one for each antenna connected. I connect them to my Collins R-388 and I can hear everyone, left coast,(I am in Alabama) Canada, you name it. I got out my my Kenwood 520S SSB radio just to have a conversation with a good friend, the radio connects to my Heath kit 2040 antenna tuner, and I get absolutely nothing into the BIRD 43 meter.  Without it, I am putting 120 watts in (CW), but reflecting goes to the peg. I realize I need a tuner with these antennas so I connected it in the circuit: radio to tuner to Bird to antenna.  Nothing.  What am I doing wrong? (Besides using side band - of course) Wink

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »

Not familiar with the 2040, so can't guess at what setting/jumper-thingy might be mis-set (?).

But the Bird should be between the radio and the tuner, not outbound from the tuner.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »

Okay I should know this, but my mind is getting foggy. I have just put up a couple of MFJ 1777 Doublet antennas.  One is pointing north-south, one east-west. I have the proper MFJ W9INN Balun boxes , one for each antenna connected. I connect them to my Collins R-388 and I can hear everyone, left coast,(I am in Alabama) Canada, you name it. I got out my my Kenwood 520S SSB radio just to have a conversation with a good friend, the radio connects to my Heath kit 2040 antenna tuner, and I get absolutely nothing into the BIRD 43 meter.  Without it, I am putting 120 watts in (CW), but reflecting goes to the peg. I realize I need a tuner with these antennas so I connected it in the circuit: radio to tuner to Bird to antenna.  Nothing.  What am I doing wrong? (Besides using side band - of course) Wink

Try the following routing:  

Radio --> Bird  --> Tuner then Antenna feeder...  

Tune in CW mode, power reduced, to show initial low level reflected power on Bird.  Then adjust Tuner for minimum reflected power.

Then set Bird for forward  and  increase output power and  peak for maximum output...

If you are going to use CW or SSB you are all set... 

For AM, set your forward output power to 1/4 of the peak reading on the Bird for AM to allow "head-room" for the AM and avoid carrier shift at 100% modulation...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W4RFM

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 05:14:29 PM »

Took your advice, works FB now.  I knew it was me.......
BTW The Heath 2040 is the big 1 KW job patterned after the Lew McCoy design. Split 200/200 mfd, roller inductor and a 200 mfd output cap.
Thanks

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 05:17:45 PM »

Okay I should know this, but my mind is getting foggy. I have just put up a couple of MFJ 1777 Doublet antennas.  One is pointing north-south, one east-west. I have the proper MFJ W9INN Balun boxes , one for each antenna connected. I connect them to my Collins R-388 and I can hear everyone, left coast,(I am in Alabama) Canada, you name it. I got out my my Kenwood 520S SSB radio just to have a conversation with a good friend, the radio connects to my Heath kit 2040 antenna tuner, and I get absolutely nothing into the BIRD 43 meter.  Without it, I am putting 120 watts in (CW), but reflecting goes to the peg. I realize I need a tuner with these antennas so I connected it in the circuit: radio to tuner to Bird to antenna.  Nothing.  What am I doing wrong? (Besides using side band - of course) Wink

You forgot step 4 Ralph.

Check feedthrough for signs of fire.

Try the following routing:  

Radio --> Bird  --> Tuner then Antenna feeder...  

Tune in CW mode, power reduced, to show initial low level reflected power on Bird.  Then adjust Tuner for minimum reflected power.

Then set Bird for forward  and  increase output power and  peak for maximum output...

If you are going to use CW or SSB you are all set...

For AM, set your forward output power to 1/4 of the peak reading on the Bird for AM to allow "head-room" for the AM and avoid carrier shift at 100% modulation...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015