The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:42:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valiant SW4C Picture?  (Read 3619 times)
W7SOE
Contributing

« on: July 21, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »

I am trying to undo the SSB mods done to my Valiant.  The mods involve rewiring the C section of the SW4 switch.  I cannot correlate what I see at the switch to what I see in the "Hints and Kinks" article that the mods supposedly came from.  I may Ignore the article and just go from the Valiant schematic.

It would be helpful to see what the section of that switch looks like stock.  Perhaps someone has a Valiant open on their bench and could take a picture?  It's a Valiant, wat are the odds someone DOESN'T!?

Rich
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »

Rich

Here is a high resolution picture (from the web) showing the wiring of SW4 of the Valiant... including SW4C

http://www.rlinwood.com/family_webpage/pix/radio/equipment/valiant/Valiant_pix/SNAG-1102.jpg

Does this meet your needs?

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »

Thank you Stu, that does help.  The last section of my SW4 is different, it has two switch sections not one.

I think it is time to forget trying to correlate the mods and just go by the original schematic. 

Rich
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »

Rich

The photo that I posted matches the schematic on BAMA.

It is conceivable that the modification made to your Valiant involved the addition of another wafer. Perhaps the objective of the modification was to redirect (switch) the output of the buffer stage, in the SSB position of SW4,  to a "buffer-RF-output" connector... added to the back of the Valiant... for use in driving the input of an external SSB adapter.

The above is what Heath Company did when they added an SB-10 to an Apache or a DX-100B

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »

What I do not understand is why Johnson manufactured an 80-10m SSB adapter to run on a 160-10m transmitter such as the Valiant. Of course, I realize Johnson had other radios in their lineup.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »

What I do not understand is why Johnson manufactured an 80-10m SSB adapter to run on a 160-10m transmitter such as the Valiant. Of course, I realize Johnson had other radios in their lineup.

I think mostly because 160 operation wasn't very popular when these were made, a combination of the ever present problem of fitting a big antenna onto a small lot plus the then significant problem of LORAN interference along with  associated power and segment restrictions.

In my opinion the most egregious Johnson example is the Viking 500 which doesn't cover 160 but the VFO does have 160 meter calibration.  Given the price of this 500 watt transmitter one would think Johnson could have at least supplied a proper dial scale.  160 meter coverage would have been even better but they already shoehorned a lot of stuff into the Valiant size case and according to one note I read it would have been more difficult to keep desired exciter tracking on 160.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015