The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:19:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple fixes, one I knew of, one I didn't.  (Read 2345 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: July 04, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »

Stuff happens in the ol' ham shack.

Recapped filter caps on my HQ110 with the clip off the can cap lead method and reconnect the new ones on a nearby installed terminal strip.  Make sure all grounds are to same point, preferably one of the old can mounting tabs.

Well.  - Hum worse than original 1962 can. What the?
Slept on it and next day noticed the new 46uf from 5u4 to ground was lying on top of the unshielded bottom of the power transformer.  I knew better but in the heat of installing those modern hot dogs in all their flash-blue glory, forgot HIFi lesson no. 1-b. 
A simple reroute cleared up the hum to, gasp, the old level, maybe slightly better.  Grin.
      This with twice the original capacitance, choke still FB, et. al.  I guess HV direct to the 6aq5 plate with only one filter cap is not meant for critical listening. If it were a better receiver I'd find a larger current, lower resistance choke and run everything through it.

While attempting to transmit with the 32v this morning (BTW Happy Independence Day) I got way big surges of SWR in the LP100A , 32v plate meter swinging wildly, etc. ..all kinds of stuff had me hunting for downed antenna wire on perfectly calm morning, you name it.

Finally when disconnecting coax to replace a run before the L net matcher, the complete pin came out of the center of an Amphenol ell 90.  Darn if it wasn't threaded and over the years simply came unscrewed.  Looking closer I saw a hex around the base of the pin which I'd never noticed before.  Screwed it back in the ell but still didn't want to force it so marked it for low power or questionable service.  Something new everyday.  Will categorize that as 10 -T3236a.

So did I pull the few remaining Inline ells and check for center pin tightness? Of course not, I'm a Ham! I just checked some loose ones in the connector box to see if construction was same.  Checked one for tightness.  -Somewhat short of brilliant, as usual  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:37:16 AM »

Nice story, Rick
It seems that there is never any rest from a technical problem. But it keeps the grey matter exercised and alert. The stuff breaks down at the wrong moment , though
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:51:32 AM »

I feel your pain.  Seems like every time I go to the shack to get on the air, I have to repair something and by the time I get it fixed, the band has changed
or everyone is gone.  Guess that is the reward for running 50 and 60 year old gear.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 12:11:45 AM »

well the 60-70 year old stuff does break down. I try to turn on everything each time I go out there, if it has been a week or more. I think it helps to idle it periodically (at least) but have no 'proof'.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015