The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:58:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Astatic Silver K Eagle, Schematic  (Read 10181 times)
W6TOM
Contributing

« on: June 08, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »

Picked up a nice looking Astatic Silver K Eagle amplified microphone at a swap this weekend, the head tests fine on another stand. It looks like the amplifier board is bad, this board is unlike any I have seen, it has small relays and is special made for the Silver K Eagle base. I could use a schematic for it, I haven't been able to find one on the net. Here is a picture of the amp and the base

* AstaticAmp.JPG (149.7 KB, 959x768 - viewed 2776 times.)

* SilverKStand.JPG (192.82 KB, 667x1024 - viewed 1230 times.)
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »

Light years away from 1 and 2 transistor, single sided boards typically found in the base of D104s.

Looks like some sort of multilayer board from the 70's or 80's.  Maybe an audio processor of some sort, with at least 4 IC's a few transistors and .1" spacing connectors.   The connectors alone make me think its not original to the mic.  What type of connector is on the end of the mic cord?

Good luck, I'm genuinely interested in the results of this quest.

Mike  

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »

It's original.   The base has a K beep in it.   A CW Roger beep that bangs our a K in CW at the end of every transmission.

Just what you've been missing on 75 meters.

CB microphone.   Gut the base,  MPF102 it.

--Shane
KD6VXI
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:54:16 PM »

Hard to believe someone would have spent money on one of those, but it seems that's the nature of Fads. Wink  I'd guess they weren't cheap either.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »

No connector on the mic cord, sure don't want some CB "courtesy tone" at the end of each transmission. The stand looks very nice and the microphone head seems to work OK too. I used that on the D-104 I use on my ART-13 and got good audio reports. Paid $20 for the mic which I think was a good deal

I went into a CB shop years ago, the had a little board you could put in your microphone call a Missouri Mule Fart, I can only imagine!! That among other things is why CB never appealed to me.

Thanks for the info!!
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:30:15 PM »

The amplifier board is not the same as the D-104's that have just the PTT lever on the handle. A few years ago I bought a bunch of very rough looking D-104 stands from a guy at a swap for a few dollars thinking the parts might be useful at a later date.

Tonight I went looking for those stands, one poor pitted specimen was a Silver Eagle with what appears to be the standard amplifier board. I put the head from the Silver Eagle I got last weekend on the stand and installed a 9 volt battery. It appears to work!! Looks like after I install that board and a bit of rewiring I'm in business!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:32:03 PM »

Decades ago I built a few noise toys using 2-transistor multivibtator with envelope modulator and voltage controlled time constants controlled by diode logic. beware of cheap copies.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015