The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:25:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Museum of Radio and Technology  (Read 3982 times)
N4zed

« on: June 30, 2014, 04:04:44 AM »

I found this little gem while on a recent vacation. It is suppose to be the largest museum of its kind and I have to say it is a vast collection of communications gear from novelty radios to broadcast transmitters including military and a complete working armature shack with multiple stations. How about an amplifier made from a re-purposed 1950's refrigerator? Guys this place is well worth a couple hour trip to see this place. My 4 person "crew" had a personal tour by a nice gent named Zane P. You can also walk around by yourself if you wish. There is no admission but you can leave a donation if you wish...I left a pretty big one because it was well worth the price of admission. It's located in Huntington, WV.

http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/mrt/

Slide Show:
http://picasaweb.google.com/WVRadioMuseum/MuseumOfRadioAndTechnology#slideshow/

* DSCF5421.JPG (2436.62 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 428 times.)

Ken<br />N4zed
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »

Fascinating. Many thanks for sharing your tour.  I've got to get down there sometime. Heard about it but just thought it was a small mom and pop operation.    ..had no idea!

I went through the whole slide show. Felt like I was there. Don't think you missed anything.
Stuff I'd forgotten about...  Little stuff, --  The NBC chimes and hammer for instance.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »

Fantastic Ken and thanks for posting.  I was a member of ARCA back in the early 80's and then they merged with the AWA to form one organization.  From what I gather their very fine museum grew out of the original ARCA membership.  I have never been down that way to see it, but sure would like to visit it sometime. 

The Amateur Radio Wireless gear is what is the most interest to me.  So  far, I just have viewed what I would call the evolution of the BC days.  Very well done and I see Geoff their curator each year up at the AWA annual conference in Rochester, NY.  Geoff is also a trustee of the AWA as well as one of the judges during the annual equipment contest done during the conference.

While we are talking about museums, the brand new AWA museum near Bloomfield, NY is over the top!  Its currently done phase 1 of 3 and the first phase had their grand opening last August and is truly impressive as well. 

Joe, W3GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »

I wonder if it is the refrigerator transmitter built by Parker, W8HSC (SK)? He was fairly active on AM, mostly on 40 meters back in the 80s and 90s from Romney, WV.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:31:44 AM »

I toured this museum about ten years ago while visiting friends in Winfield, WV.  I don't recall seeing the broadcast transmitters or the radio or TV studio displays.  It has apparently grown significantly since I was there.  I must schedule another visit soon!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
N4zed

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:40:53 AM »

It was built by W8PNR Bernard F. Clark (sk) 1953. I can see the plack on my computer when zoomed...maybe this will make it.

* DSCF5420.JPG (2453.08 KB, 2736x3648 - viewed 410 times.)

Ken<br />N4zed
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »

I also see a Heathkit HX-11 on top of the T-60 to the left of the big rig.  I found an HX-11 several years back quite by luck. 

I was offered a transmitter built into a Coke machine a bunch of years back but declined and I believe Joe, N3IBX has it now and has given it a good home.  I guess building rigs into these old soda machines was more common than we think. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »

I did not see the handwheel before. Respect increasement.

What is the window in the center of the meters? Can the final be seen inside?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N4zed

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:31:53 AM »

Can the final be seen inside?

I didn't take time to look.... Embarrassed Wish I had.

Ken<br />N4zed
John K5PRO

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »

I've wanted to see that for years, now its on my list of destinations, not just a passthru. I think a day might be needed to see it all.
Wow, the AC Gilbert Atomic Energy Lab is there, that's rare. See attached.

* Gilbert.jpg (327.46 KB, 1050x956 - viewed 266 times.)
w1vtp

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »

I've wanted to see that for years, now its on my list of destinations, not just a passthru. I think a day might be needed to see it all.
Wow, the AC Gilbert Atomic Energy Lab is there, that's rare. See attached.

What vintage is that?  My dad used to buy me all kinds of scientific kits but I never got that one.  Would have loved to have played with it

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015