The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 09:36:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins envy cured!  (Read 2464 times)
K9DXL

« on: May 05, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »

After 53 years of ham radio with never a piece of Collins gear gracing the shack, a 75S3 followed me home yesterday from the Arrowhead A.R.C. Hamfest in Superior, WI. 
I was first attracted to the seller's table by dusty but complete SX28, but following a winter's project of rebuilding my DX-100 and an SX-101 waiting to go on the bench, I was thinking lighter is better.  Sure, my heart said yes to the '28, but my mind - and my back, said, "no, no, no!" 
Sitting pretty right there was a nice, clean 75S3.  I'd never really given this receiver a thought, certainly didn't think I could afford one, but there she was giving me a wink and a sultry "hello sailor."  A few presidential portraits were exchanged and the rest, as they say, was history.
I sat down at home to try it out.  No manual, no problem.  I've had communications receivers in front of me for years.  But what's this - I can't even tune in a SSB signal!  @#*&^%!!!  (Those of you in the know are chuckling, I can hear you from here.)  Download the manual and discover that "BFO off" (which isn't even marked as such) actually means normal, well how 'bout that!  Then there was the mystery of the somewhat reluctant S meter that was solved by a couple of tweaks to the meter adjustment pot. De-Oxit time.  My third discovery was that whole segments of the bands were not what they should have been... tuning across the bottom of 40 meters, I found a strong AM signal going "tick... tick... tick."  CHU at 7050kc?  Comparing the crystals inside with the table in the manual I found I have coverage above and below the ham bands on 80, 40, and 20 meters.  Bet this radio was used by a MARS operator.
Investigating further, there was a call sign engraved on the chassis, W8JID.  The QRZ.com database had no listing for the call, but their historical reference revealed that W8JID was Earl S. Kleeberger of Springfield, Ohio, who had an Advanced class license from (at least) 1984 to 1994.  A Google search turned up an Ohio man of the same name who was born in 1909 and died in 2002.
Adventure, excitement, detective work all a result of bringing serial number 13764 75S3 home from a Saturday hamfest.  I got a very good deal and she works just like the seller said she would - but with a little coverage in parts of the spectrum I didn't expect, however.  I like the look, the feel of the controls, and the sound - even on AM - is better than what I had been led to expect from comments about the Collins audio sections.  And Mr. Kleeberger, you can rest assured that what was once your pride and joy is now enjoying a place of honor in my shack, and will for years to come.  Now I just need to remember to order some crystals in the morning.

Breathing solder fumes since 1959.  That explains a lot.
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »

Congratulations on your find. I've had a bunch of Collins gear starting in 1994 when I purchased a dentist's estate and enjoyed using it and found it easy to work on. Since then I bought and sold various Collins units but have settled on my KWM2a with the 312B5 remote VFO and 516F2 power supply. I also have a 30L1 amp. It all works great and I get nice audio reports.

I needed a crystal for 17 meters and the low end of 10 meters. I found them on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Good luck with it.

Steve
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

Congrats.

The Collins S line has the most honest face in ham radio gear.  How can you not trust a radio with a face like that?  Wink

And every model's front panel is identical.  For example, look at two 75S3 receivers and we find that every textured flake on the panel is in the same place.  Stamped out aluminum panels with imbedded texture?

In the 60's, they were every poor ham's dream.  At Hatry's in Hartford, whenever I axed about a Galaxy or Swan, Corky always told me to get rid of the s**t and buy a Collins.

Semi mil-spec gear with ham bands.

T

* 75S3B-1.jpg (57 KB, 800x503 - viewed 393 times.)

* 75S3B - 2.jpg (110.08 KB, 800x598 - viewed 330 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA7WOC

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »

After years of looking at the 'shelf art' I've starting unloading some of my Collins gear.  Mostly by giving to favored friends.  I'm going to keep one piece, a 75s -3b that is wired backwards, ie, 75 meters actually tunes ten.  Use to have a sticker over the band switch reversing the band locations.   Not sure but I think the rig was used on a Great Lakes vessel.   Still keeping the A2-4 rcvrs.   SSB I'm a Drake guy.  (Once or twice a year anyway)

Bob (aka Boatyard)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015