The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:19:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformer Wax  (Read 2152 times)
W7SOE
Contributing

« on: April 25, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »

Hi All,
I cleaned up the Valiant chassis with diluted Super Clean and the hose.  Cleaned up nicely.  I dried it in the oven at 170, I have done this for several rigs with no problems. This time though the mod transformer puked out a LOT of wax.  I assume it is wax.

Is the transformer dead or should I use it anyway?  It will be some time before I can test.

Thanks

Rich
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »

Should be Ok.

BTW, the Navy standard for salvage and recovery of electronics is to dry at 120F for as long as needed.  You are unlikely to have any heat damage at that temperature.  Also, preheat the oven so the equipment is not exposed to elements running at high temp.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »

Can't hurt to run it as is I suppose. 

Surprising to see how much wax came out.  Luckily I was able to get the oven cleaned up and into a self clean cycle before the XYL came home.

Whew!

Rich
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »

Is this a potted transformer or standard with end bells?

either way it ought not matter, since the potting isn't doing that much other than keeping the core centered in the can and maybe making it hum or sing less. there's likely some insulation value, but unless they made it very leaky or poorly insulated, there's no real diff between that way and unpotted with end bells. imo.

You can remove the iron, open the bottom of the can and look... even melt the rest of the wax out into a metal or glass tray and re-pot the thing.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:44:21 PM »

"  even melt the rest of the wax out into a metal or glass tray and re-pot the thing.  "

Ditto on that.....I've done it without any ill effects.  As far as the other problem, "before the XYL came home.", man up like me and sleep in the guest bedroom. Its also a good idea to not be there when she comes home....

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015