The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:15:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Large Glass Tubes  (Read 14616 times)
KA3EKH

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »

Someone mentioned Broadcasting and tubes so thought I would take an opportunity to waste bandwidth with more stupid broadcasting stories! First a thought, if you have to work as fast as possible to change the tube that stations is more than likely a cheap low budget operation being almost every broadcaster has a axillary transmitter, not that it always in working order. Many years ago I had to replace the modulator tubes in this little dump of an AM only station, WKEN and they wanted a rush job because the auxiliary transmitter an old gates also had all bad tubes in it and did not work. The thing was they did not have the tubes on site and told me that they would call the minute they showed up, and warned me that when they expected delivery they were going to lock all the doors and act like no one was in the office in hope that the delivery company would leave the tubes there without them having to sign for them so they could claim that they never received them and get a second set for free. Was told that if that worked they would call once they had the tubes and then open the office back up, don’t know if there plan worked out or not. Second story, back at the beginning of time when I was in High School I also helped out at an AM/FM combo in town and got a call one night after midnight that the chief had removed all the 833 tubes from the Gates BC-1 and after putting them back the transmitter would not go back on air. As soon as the plate was turned on it thru an overload. So I drove my old 70 duster over to the station and we started to try to resolve what was going on and after looking around discovered that the chief had installed one of the 833 tubes backwards with grid and plate pins swapped. Funny thing was that after turning the tubes the correct direction it came up and worked with no issues so putting full plate on the grids did not hurt them. The 833 is a wonderful bottle and have three in my RCA on 160 with tons of spares and have several dead 833 around that I give out to people because they all like the looks of that huge bulb. Don’t know how to go about doing it but that would be a good envelope to cut open and make a little aquarium or terrarium in one. Think there is some stupid show on one of the cable networks where they build aquariums in things; old tubes may be a good subject.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »

833 = skinned rabbit look Sad

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »

The FM station where I DJ'd back in the 80s had a brandy-new 4-400A sitting on a shelf, internal structure clearly askew from being dropped or otherwise mishandled (maybe the Tube shaker stopped by?) with a big note on it that said something like "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN UNTRAINED PEOPLE HANDLE TRANSMITTER TUBES". It disappeared shortly thereafter, probably by the culprit who got sick of being reminded.

As to 'rotating' spare tubes, that's basically nonsense and, as Jim referenced, just another opportunity for damage from mishandling. Last year I opened a pair of NIB 4-400s with 1989 date codes. Popped them in the transmitter, let them cook for a while, and (amazingly) - they worked just like new tubes!  Shocked  Not bad for sitting unused 24 years or so.

When it comes to spares or really any tubes, there are two kinds: Good ones and bad ones. Okay, maybe three - bad ones waiting to happen. Perhaps all tubes eventually fall into that category if not used. Aside from surplus WWII tubes like the 250TH made with lower grade materials that contaminate the vacuum over time and/or become brittle, or an otherwise-specific bad batch, I can think of no situation where a tube that was properly gettered/evacutated/sealed went bad from sitting. Mishandling? Sure.

So rotate away, Flip.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WX1WX

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »

So about those 250ths and 100ths… what's you best suggestions? I have read they are pretty fragile. I am thinking STRAIGHT up, leather gloves, and safety glasses and take my time! And keep them away from Shaking Guy!

73-
de WX1WX
On the Road in the Airstream
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »

I spend at least a half hour getting my zen in place before even taking an 851 out of the carton, let alone setting it into a socket.

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015