The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:42:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tree climbers  (Read 3926 times)
WQ9E

« on: March 16, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »

Yesterday I was off the air for awhile because I had to drop my 80 meter horizontal loop while we were having some tree work done.  I have a few mature hackberry trees near the house that provide great shade but a bad habit of these trees is developing a split at the main fork.  It looked like the trees would have to come down but I found a local company that climbs and "restores" trees removing the damaged/dangerous parts so I have the trees still and the house is safe.

It was fun to watch the climber at work.  He goes up with spurs and installs a climb rope and then swings from branch to branch.  He was on limbs I wouldn't consider standing on but he is obviously used to doing this stuff and refers to himself as a "tree monkey".  Most of the cutting is done with a specialized and expensive climb saw while a very large saw (went through the 32" part of the cut in one pass) is used for heavy work.  A second rope is used to lower limbs if they can't be dropped safely and he had to use that a lot for the second tree which was closer to the house and also had my daughters play set below.  He started at 7:00, took one 10 minute break, and was finished by 2:00.  The price was very reasonable and it was nice to save these great shade trees.  It is a pretty small local company but they also travel south after hurricanes and specialize in saving high value trees that would otherwise be taken down entirely.  The owner first appears to be just a typically competent tradesman but once you get him talking about trees it is clear he is knowledgeable and passionate about not cutting down trees that can and should be saved.

* climb1.JPG (1603.42 KB, 1800x1200 - viewed 405 times.)

* climb2.JPG (944.31 KB, 1200x1800 - viewed 430 times.)

* climb3.JPG (1590.44 KB, 1200x1800 - viewed 401 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »

So how many antenna cables did this install?   Grin
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »

The climber told me he is happy to do freelance work so I am keeping that in mind for future antenna work Smiley  The owner of the company started out on a commercial tower crew when he was 18 and was part of the crew that installed the tallest antenna tower in the state.

I wouldn't want to do this kind of work and if I did it would be in a far less windy state than Illinois.  Yesterday was calm (well under 15MPH winds) but today gusts are back up near 40 MPH.)

Rodger WQ9E
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »

The climber in photo #2 should think about replacing his orange safety line.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »

I've been thinking of hiring a few for some tree work here - trimming and antenna cable placement.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »

I had Aborists in my trees to do some trimming and run antennas at the Maryland QTH. They said there are always requests of Ham radio ops to run antennas. These guys did a nice job of installing pulleys at each end and even a center support for a full length dipole for 160M. I had the ability to pull down any end and not hope that something got hung up in some branches, if I had to do any maintenance. I forget how my brother explained that to me, an extra rope to pull down the actual pulley. 90 feet high, fed by open ladder..........nice!
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5IIA

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »

The climber told me he is happy to do freelance work so I am keeping that in mind for future antenna work Smiley  The owner of the company started out on a commercial tower crew when he was 18 and was part of the crew that installed the tallest antenna tower in the state.

I wouldn't want to do this kind of work and if I did it would be in a far less windy state than Illinois.  Yesterday was calm (well under 15MPH winds) but today gusts are back up near 40 MPH.)

just make sure he has freelance insurance..  Roll Eyes

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »

Great pictures Rodger!

When I had 11 trees removed last year one of them was beyond the reach of the 120 foot crane they brought in. That was left to the "Tree Monkey" which is what he called himself just as yours did. He used his spurs to scramble up to the top of this 70 footer and used the rope trick you described of using the tree itself to disassemble it limb by limb and section by section. I was amazed that it only took him about 30 minutes to do that tree.

For all the others, the crane lifted him to the top of each tree and he placed a big sling around the trunk about 20 feet from the top and then scrambled down to the half-way point and cut off the top half of the tree. The crane would lift it from the backyard to the front where it would either be lowered into the chopper or cut up for lumber depending on how healthy the wood looked. I shot a video of one lift and stuck it on YouTube because I was so impressed with how the crane operator was able to sneak the crane boom around my tower and under my antennas with 50+ feet of tree hanging over my house. That crane operator must be great at video games!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDXwDbtqyg

It was an amazing operation and the Tree Monkey worked with very few breaks for roughly 10 hours until the whole job was done. He ended his day by being dropped down on top of the 110 foot pine in my front yard and cabling it in 3 places (it splits into two trunks at about the 30 foot level) to strengthen it.

After watching that crew at work I have a ton of respect for their skill, physical strength, physical endurance, and courage.

Hope your trees stay healthy and hold up your wires well!

Rob

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »

The climb saw looks like a Stihl 20AV. I have one in my garage I used (before the back hardware) for the same thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015