The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:27:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rfi from led lighting  (Read 4327 times)
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« on: January 22, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »

I bought a 'corn cob' led light from some oriental supplier off of epay ... screwed it in and experienced 20 db over s9 buzz on 75m but well illumined

been looking for info about this ...

www.leapfroglighting.com/led-lamps-interfering-with-radio-transmissions/

caveat emptor

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »

I have some in the house, some Phillips (expensive) and some cheap ones from Home Despot.
No noise.

The CFL's tend to be slow starting, more so in the cold, so they do not work well for places you turn lights on and off.

What bugs me is how hot the LED's get, the Phillips have a heat sink base that gets very hot.
What is up with that?
It seems they waste a lot of power in the voltage regulator or something...
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »

No LEDs around here so I can't comment, but plenty of CFLs and they don't cause any noticeable RFI. Another thing about them, if not allowed to come up full which although you don't notice it is at RT they take about 15 minutes, cycling them short decreases life of the lamp. It gets worse in a cold environment and it doesn't take much for them to take a long time to come up. Those of you living in northern climes surely have noticed that outdoor florescent lamps of any kind never come up at all in the cold, but conventional tubes live a good life anyway. It's a safe bet to say it's because they contain more mercury and what does vaporize is sufficient whereas CFLs contain very little, so there you have it.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »

Bah Humbug Tongue.

Every bulb around this QTH is either incandescent, metal halide, or halogen.

We laid in lifetime supply of all them, the overall difference in our bill from lighting is nothing to even consider.

No SS dimmers either, all done with Variacs.  There is enuf RF noise without any of that crap, even out in the middle of the desert.

From the light bulb Luddite,

Dennis

Just pacing the Farady cage...
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »

Maybe switch to whale oil lamps.
Its renewable.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »

I have all types, incandescent, CFL, Halogen and LED, and none of them cause a bit of trouble.
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »

Yup.  I horded some 40's and 60's incandescent bulbs.  This whole ban on incandescents is a crock
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »

the eBay type sellers and the nice deals are the most problem for LED RFI.
I have gone to Lowe's with my shortwave radio and get the antenna rod next to the fixture I am thinking about. Some make a little noise and others get pretty loud in the radio...None were extreme noise makers.
I lucked out with our Christmas decorations that use a lot of LED's and nothing out side knocked out my radio. The lights were 600 feet away so, I would not be able to evaluate that properly any way.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »

I have had good luck with the 2700K LED bulbs made by CREE.   They are manufactured in the USA right down in Durham, N.C.  They get my money even if they were more expensive than the imported ones.    With the outside antenna on the receiver I cannot tell if the lights are on or off from an EMI standpoint. 

I have some small LED floods in the recessed Lab ceiling lights and my bench receiver just has a clip lead antenna.  Those are manufactured for Home Depot and assembled in Mexico.  Not sure of the brand but on the cash register slip they are ECS and the size is BR30.  I have a total of 6 of them in the lab ceiling.  When they are on, I do hear them in my lab receiver with the clip lead antenna, but then again they are very close. 

Joe, GMS           

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015