The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:10:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heathkit paint  (Read 6208 times)
KK4RF

« on: November 11, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »

Gentlemen:
     I'm rebuilding a SB-220 linear amp this week with a new rectifier board and all new filter caps from Harbach. My SB-220 needs the outer case re-painted. (not the front panel, just the case.) Does anyone, off hand, know where to find a can of spray paint, say from WalMart or Lowe's, Home Depot, and what brand and the color.  I don't need perfection, just something close. Thanks to all.
     Marty, KK4RF
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »

Marty,

K9STH offers some ideas on repainting Heathkit green you might review: k9sth.com/uploads/Faux_Heathkit_Paints.doc‎

Brad K4RT
wa5ddz

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »

Home Depot does a good job.Take a paint sample and they can match it.
Don't know if all the stores are alike but the one here has helped me with
some odd colors.
KK4RF

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:34 AM »

Gentlemen:
     Thanks for the ideas. I'm off work this week. Will check out Home Depot for the paint. I'm making good progress on the Harbach filter caps and rectifier boards. The circuit boards are all done, just need to remove the old ones and do some soldering of the new ones in. Fun project so far.  73s, Marty, KK4RF
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »

Sherwin Williams does paint matching as well. Be sure you clean the spot for the light beam to remove any dirt, nicotine, etc. That yellow color, if present, is definitely not part of the Heathkit paint mixing scheme.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
KK4RF

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »

Gentlemen;
     I simply bought a can of spray paint from Lowe's. The color isn't exactly right, but for me it was close enough. It sure looks better than before, so I'm going to live with it.
     I got the amp working just great  with the Harbach replacement parts. The job was not nearly as much work as I thought it would be. I should have done this a few years ago.
     Thanks to all for the ideas.   ---Marty, KK4RF---
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »

Gentlemen;
     I simply bought a can of spray paint from Lowe's. The color isn't exactly right, but for me it was close enough. It sure looks better than before, so I'm going to live with it.
     I got the amp working just great  with the Harbach replacement parts. The job was not nearly as much work as I thought it would be. I should have done this a few years ago.
     Thanks to all for the ideas.   ---Marty, KK4RF---

Thar's probably more then good enough since they are not generally considered highly "prized" and "collectable" rigs. That's not be confused with highly usable rigs.

Both my SB-200's have slightly different original color painted cabinets. I have 2 SB-610's and 2 SB-620's (all use the same cabinet) and 3 of the 4 have also slightly different original color painted cabinets. Only 1 of 4 cabinets matches 1 of the SB-200 cabinets. I guess as Heathkit rolled through the late 60's and through the 70's, exact color matching, or consistent color matching, was not a high priority.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »

As I recall the cases on my Apache and Mohawk were slightly different colors. The Apache was slightly lighter than the Mohawk. Not noticeable at a glance but if you stared at them for a while you'd pick it up. Heathkit probably switched paint vendors in mid run to lowest bidder several times to cut cost I'd imagine. so the colors may be different even on the same model.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
KL7OF

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

Krylon is available in Heathkit green(s)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »

If I recall the case was a crackle type finish?

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015