The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 08:28:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise bridge  (Read 2270 times)
RolandSWL
Contributing

« on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »

Hi All,

How useful is a noise bridge for setting up antenna systems? Is it a must have piece of equipment when rolling your own wire antennas?

Thanks, Roland
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »

The noise bridge is a handy device, but hardly a "must have".  Most noise bridges have only a resistance (R) knob.  This includes the old Omega-T which shows up at hamfests...often for a 20 dollar bill.  TenTec makes a little kit with R only measurement that isn't bad, but it's fixed at 50 ohms only...tune for minimum noise.   A good choice is the old Palomar noise bridge, as it has both R and X knobs, which makes it easier to tell if your dipole is longer or shorter than it needs to be.  They also show up at hamfests for not much money.  Of course you need a receiver to listen for the noise null, but you probably have that covered.
I have a couple network analyzers which display lovely swept SWR/return loss screens and it spoils you, but I still drag out my old Omega-T for quick checks on occasion.
Before hams had all these nice toys, we would just hang a dipole, check SWR with a transmitter and SWR bridge at various frequencies to determine if we had to cut or add wire to the ends.  Until you get a license to transmit, very low SWR isn't something to worry about.  Cut your dipole to the formula and hang it up.
By the way, why not take the test and get your General?  It's about X-squared more fun than just listening.
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »

Thanks for the reply W1ITT

I am currently signed up for Ham Test Online. The cold weather will free up more time for study. I hope to be prepared for my General exam by early spring.

Roland...............
W1ITT

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 01:32:46 PM »

Roland..
For exam prep you can also go to eham.net.  On the left hand side, in the yellow, under Resources, click on "ham exams".  There you can take practice tests for any of the three licenses.  No tutoring hints are included, but it's another way to test your readiness.  Once you get your license the second phase of learning begins where you apply all the theoretical stuff. 
GL de Norm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015