The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:48:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRO 50T1 TRANSFORMER  (Read 1981 times)
J JASON
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

My power transformer recently burned out on my HRO 50,are they hard to find replacements?
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »

The HRO 50 and  HRO 60 used a bypass capacitor connected across one side of the secondary to ground (C-118, I think).  If this capacitor shorted out (believe me, they do!) and your power transformer was toast.  Be sure. if you manage to find a suitable replacement transformer, that you remove this capacitor...it is not needed.  

BTW good luck finding and exact replacement that will fit.  You may luck out finding an old Tv power supply transformer or the like that can be pressed into service.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »

Those transformers are very difficult to find, you best bet is to send that one in for rewinding.  It will cost a bit but there is one good reason, you can have the primary wound for 122 volts.  When Peter Dahl was in business he required the core to rewind as will anyone who does that work.

If you find a replacement or have that one fixed, install a fuse in the output HV lead between the rectifier and the first capacitor.  Sometimes the audio transformer can short and ruin that transformer and do be sure to follow the advice of Jeff.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:53:30 PM »

http://members.tripod.com/tubes_tubes_tubes/transformerrewindingservice/id29.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015