The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:55:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Thanks to the Site Owner and Moderators  (Read 4450 times)
KA8WTK
Contributing

« on: August 30, 2013, 08:26:19 PM »

Like it says above, THANKS for this being a well maintained and stand alone site. I just visited one of my Yahoo groups and found that Yahoo has changed the format for all groups to one that is almost impossible to use. Message searches are gone and it is not easy to navigate or retreive information from. Moderators and group owners seem to be very upset. You can read some their feed back and that of users on a Yahoo page.

Again, Thanks for keeping AMfone alive! I am afraid that if it were a Yahoo Group it would not be long for the web and that the great wealth of searchable knowledge here would be lost.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »

... great wealth of searchable knowledge here ...

I'll add my thank you as well. As a newcomer to boatanchors AMFONE is a great resource.

Brad
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »

Many are unhappy with 'big provider' groups and their functionality-reducing changes. Yahoo has certainly kept for themselves the capability to mine and control answers and information.

One business reason for killing the search is also the simplest - reduce the costs associated with server loading from all the searching their millions of 'guests' do on all those groups.

All the better for "Yahoo! Answers" traffic enhancement too, if Groups data can't be searched by visitors and the same or similar answers must be doled out by random individuals and is controlled. The fact that Answers works fine for poodle shampoo but not for specialized (real) information, probably is not even on Yahoo's radar.

Free availability of information is one reason that topic-specific independent message boards are so valuable to the thinking public and why they will probably never go away. For this we are all grateful.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »

From AM windows earliest days to this site AMFone.net, I've enjoyed all those things plus the camaraderie of a fine bunch of fellows.

I've learned and applied a lot and hope that I've imparted some help to the general discourse too.

A big thanks from me also.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »

From AM windows earliest days to this site AMFone.net, I've enjoyed all those things plus the camaraderie of a fine bunch of fellows.

I've learned and applied a lot and hope that I've imparted some help to the general discourse too.

A big thanks from me also.

Extremely well stated Rick!  Hopefully the annoyance factor will remain low, so AMfone will have a very long life! 

Joe, GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »

And I have never seen this site flush away 2 years of postings, without warning, as have other sites.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 02:33:58 AM »

Add mine as well. 

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »

As Joe points out, once the handful of narcissists, trolls, and AOL chatroom types get the message and either find or are shown the door, the rest is pretty easy. We get very few crooks here, but on the odd occasion they surface, Johnny is good at dropping the hammer on them. The biggest challenge overall is moving mis-posted threads to the correct forum. You'd be amazed at how many people post Wanted ads in the For Sale section.  Grin What that tells me is that the vast majority here, by far, have no problem conducting themselves well and using the site as intended. That makes it pretty easy for the moderators.

Thanks to everyone who contributes their time and knowledge here to answer questions, post designs and ideas, or help figure out the impossible. The technical value you add to the site is immeasurable, and is the real reason it exists. To encourage and improve the on-air AM experience, not replace it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W8UJX

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »

My thanks as well.  The second thing I read in the AM when I first turn on the PC is AMfone, second only to email which is mostly just junk that I can get rid of quickly.  That way I can take my tine and enjoy all the good info I find there.

Whenever I find an interesting topic that I may want to refer to in the future I create a shortcut to it and put the shortcut in a folder called AMfone.  That folder sits on the desktop.  So far I have 55 shortcuts.

Keep up the good work guys.

Jerry, W8UJX   
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »

These guys do a gud job keeping us safe and warm. It taint easy keeping a bunch of hams on the straight and narrow. Some of the other radio places on the web, are, fer the most part, a vast wasteland (sry Minow). So, maybee its time fer some financial support fer this site.

klc

But, I do wish the Ted Nugent thread was available.... ..   Now that was a smelly ball of worms.

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015