The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:02:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Actions  (Read 4714 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« on: August 26, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »

Maybe the FCC isn't what is was "back in the day" but it's still doing some enforcement these days.

From the most recent ARRL Letter:

Regulatory: FCC Cites More Retailers for Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices

The FCC this month cited retailers in California and Texas for illegally marketing non-certified amplifiers. According to an August 15 Citation and Order, the FCC's San Francisco office investigated complaints and "confirmed that DNJ Radio of Fremont was offering for sale non-certified RM Italy linear amplifiers and amplifier kits capable of operation with both CB 11 meter transceivers and [Amateur Service] 10 meter transceivers." The FCC said the devices listed in the Citation have not received FCC grants of certification, required for external RF power amplifiers operating below 144 MHz and marketed in the US. The Commission also cited Radio Master, a CB shop catering to truckers -- for similar violations. According to a Citation and Order released August 20, FCC agents from its Dallas office in February inspected the Radio Master shop at a truck stop in Rockwall, Texas, where they observed a used Palomar 250 RF amplifier offered for sale.

"The unit did not have an FCC identification number to confirm that the model had been granted an FCC certification," the Commission said in the Radio Master Citation, noting that under its Part 2 rules, external RF power amplifiers capable of operating below 144 MHz "may not be offered for sale unless they have first been authorized in accordance with the Commission's certification procedures."

The FCC discounted a disclaimer on DNJ Radio's website that the devices it's marketing "are for industrial, scientific, medical, or export use only," and that using them on 11 meters would violate FCC rules. "The amplifiers...are being offered for sale from within the United States, and anyone within the United States could buy the devices regardless of the disclaimer," the FCC said. Future violations by either retailer could result in hefty fines and/or equipment seizure, the Commission said.

The Commission told both firms to take immediate steps to discontinue marketing unauthorized RF devices, and it gave them 30 days to provide certain information in writing.

In June, the FCC issued a Citation and Order to a Nebraska-based online retailer for illegally marketing unauthorized RF devices -- including 10 and 12 meter amplifiers capable of putting out up to 8200 W.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »

FCC could have a heyday in Dallas if they wanted to. But, those who could be held responsible for the amps in stores would probably turn out to have no assets or property with which to pay fines. Local 11M operators would turn out to be some person on welfare in a section 8 rent house. No money in it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:58:00 AM »

FCC could have a heyday in Dallas if they wanted to. But, those who could be held responsible for the amps in stores would probably turn out to have no assets or property with which to pay fines. Local 11M operators would turn out to be some person on welfare in a section 8 rent house. No money in it.

It's not always about the money.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »

" It's not always about the money. "

I think it is about the money, but in a more general scence. Efflluent doesn't seem to bother anyone untill it gets away from where it's stored.

There are finite resources, and the FCC will spend the money where it is most needed. Or where the money suppliers want it. Then there is the 'squekey wheel'. Cause enough people to get upset, and maybe there will be an enforcement action taken.

klc

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:15 AM »

I don't listen to the CB enough to be annoyed or complain. It can be interesting from time to time.

It's like the bare light bulb in the attic. you don't think about it until you need it. Then you turn it on, find its unshaded brightness annoying, use it, and turn it back off to be ignored until needed again.

I keep a base station to be more 'complete' in my HF-ness and in case I want to say something one or twice a year. I do not put my ham transmitter there.

ahaha but I never get to say anything. 4 watts is drowned out by the sweep tube rock crushers, several species of large-mouth ear-pluggers, a couple of hobby preachers, kitchen-table drunks with FT-101s, super truckers, a truck stop barker, a few lot lizzards, the chrome shop, the CB shop, the BBQ man, the vendor of pirated DVD movies, a few homebound DJs, and a host of minor minions purposefully engaged in the raising of the background noise level of the cosmos.

Maybe it serves as a sort of twisted entertainment, or a s a sort of 'baseline reference of anarchy' for the FCC.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »

...but I never get to say anything. 4 watts is drowned out by the sweep tube rock crushers, several species of large-mouth ear-pluggers, a couple of hobby preachers, kitchen-table drunks with FT-101s, super truckers, a truck stop barker, a few lot lizzards, the chrome shop, the CB shop, the BBQ man, the vendor of pirated DVD movies, a few homebound DJs, and a host of minor minions purposefully engaged in the raising of the background noise level of the cosmos...

Good grief, I need to get one of my languishing 11m rigs up and running.  I can use a good laugh once [or twice] in a while.  Is "Rye Whiskey" still extant?  I kinda miss that old coot. Grin

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015