The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:52:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Follow-up on recent threads  (Read 8580 times)
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« on: August 16, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »

There are a few recent threads (in the last few months) in which a question was asked or specific advice was requested... but for which the original poster never followed up with a post describing which of the advice (if any) in subsequent posts led to a satisfactory result or solution.

In my opinion...to assist others who may have similar questions or who are seeking similar advice... it would be helpful if follow-up posts would be added by the original posters.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »

Sometimes even an occasional "thank you" to someone would be nice for taking the time to try and help out.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »

I have to admit that I'm guilty of that on occasions.  I've intended to follow up but get distracted and eventually it goes "out of sight out of mind". 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »

Sometimes even an occasional "thank you" to someone would be nice for taking the time to try and help out.

Pete,

I call those guys "hit and run"!   Very rude, regardless of its intended or not.   

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »

It's all about MEEEEEEE!
K7NCR

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 06:48:42 PM »

I have got much help here, but have not yet had time to try all the suggestions! Thanks in advance, anyway. I will post followups when I can.
Norm

K7 Norms Classic Radio
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »

"  It's all about MEEEEEEE! "

No Steve, you are wrong. It's all about ME.

klc

What? Me worry?
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »

heheheheh...  I hear ya.  

Not the same thing, but kinda reminds me of what happens after someone makes a rambling and painfully LOOONG old buzzard transmission on the air.   The other station will sometimes come back and say, " Well, OK on all.... think I'll sign out now... 73's's's -bye."

The transmission time rule:  The percentage of return comments to our overall thoughts is inversely proportional to the length of our transmission.

Examples: Axe a quick question and someone will respond to 100% of our thoughts.  Talk for 30 minutes and we will be lucky if there is a 1% reply -  or ANY comment; or anyone left listening at all, for that matter... Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »

Very true Tom with the long winded dissertations.  We had a "sister" new product development group that had a totally different culture than our Advance Development group.  All great people in both locations, but the culture of the other group showed that they were great professional street fighters.  The other group would talk and talk and give you data and data and just drag out the entire decision making process until finally we would just say "ok"!  They were masters at it.  You can wear people out with words. 

Anyway, if someone helps you, don't flee just thank the person(s)!

Joe, GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W4VLJ

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:34 PM »

Hey Guys,

Just in case - I hope I've made it clear how much I appreciate all the input on the AM transmitter project, you've definitely got me started, and I'm hoping you'll keep me headed in the right direction.  If I go quiet for a while it's because I'm reading all the info you recommended!

Thanks again,

Mike
W4VLJ
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »

I'm very grateful when I get advice or answers to my questions. I hope I post what I actually did after. If I forget some times, please excuse me.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »

Guilty as charged.
I don't always know how to end a thread.
My behavior is inexcusable. 

RSWL
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »

Eh, just yanking some chains. I give out advice and info with no expectations. Some will use it, some will argue with it, some will ignore it. If it helps someone great - even if I don't know about it.

I think most of us want to hear success stories and that any input we had contributed to the success. It's sort of like a victory party.

Buy everyone a beer and call it even.  Grin
W8UJX

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

Guilty as charged Yur Honor.  I have a lame excuse, kinda.  The first thing I do in the morning is load up on strong narcotic pain control pails.  Sometines the rest of the day is just a blur...   

Had a lot of trouble with AMFone the past few days.  I repeadly had to hit the refresh button to advance the menu.  Would not let me compose a message.  Everything else on the PC worked ok.  In despair I finally reloaded windows.  Seems to work ok now.

Anyway I have more follow up questions on the Globe King modulator project and I will pass them along later.  Thanks to all who have responded to this topic to help me.

Jerry, W8UJX

WQ9E

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »

Since everything lives forever on the internet it is nice for the OP to post the outcome so that it will provide guidance for others who experience similar issues in the future.

Rodger WQ9E
W9BHI

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »

Sorry Stu,
I have been caught up in several projects.
The modulator driver using the Antek toroid worked ok, but it needed much more than the 3 or 4 watts calculated to drive the 4-125's.
Thanks again,
Don W9BHI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015