The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:25:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BC-610 E Plate Transformer  (Read 7019 times)
k5ygc

« on: August 10, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »

I need to test (ohms) HV tranny for BC610E the manual doesnt give any ohm readings. Does anyone know the values?
Mark K5YGC
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »

Try Perry in Beaumont....
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »

Mark,

The majority of vintage transformer failures cannot be found via precision measurement of resistance.  A single shorted turn on the secondary won't be found through resistance measurement but it will create a load that makes the transformer unusable (it will self-destruct fairly quickly).  An open winding will be obvious through measurement as will a short/leakage from winding to winding or winding to core. 

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 12:08:03 AM »

If it has not been used in a long time and the connection from the internal wire to the screw+lug on the inside is a little 'dirty' because of potting tar, an unwanted coating of insulating oxide, etc., it may seem open to a high-Z ohm meter but will work when used. This exact issue was found on a 2KVA plate unit here. Meter showed open, and upon connection to the line it definitely worked.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »

Use a variac, an AC ammeter along with an inline fuse .  You know what the primary voltage is and the corresponding secondary voltage.  Just scale down from that once the turns ratio is know and "tickle" the primary with some fused low voltage and measure the corresponding secondary voltage.  If the voltage ratio is correct based on the turns ratio the transformer is probably good.  The only other issue is a breakdown within the transformer that does not show up with the low voltage applied.  Make sure if the transformer has been stored in less than a great place that you bake the transformer first.  An oven works good as long as your wife is not using it!!  If you have a good sunny day placing it on a driveway will bake it nicely.  Hy Pot testers are great buy many do not have them.  An old oil burner ignition transformer current limited under variac control works well.     

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
pa0ast

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

I am facing the same problem here with my BC610. The wire is gone at the highvoltage isolator. fortunatly i had a spare trafo.
fred pa0mer had also the same problem and he could repair  the trafo with a new short piece of wire in side. So i presume that the tar acid problem is quite common. A test can be a big resistor or a  lamp in series with the trafo to a variac and measure the secundary voltage. Bad contact in the socket of the rectifier tubes is also a very common problem. check the temp of the rectifiers after 30 min warm up time without high voltage . Switch off the set disconnect it and feel them after 1 minute or so, or use a infrared thermometer,  both tubes should have the same temperature. And Be carefull,  You can  make a mistake with highvoltage only once.
Anton
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »

If you need a replacement, PM me. I have a good one that I'm willing to part with.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »

Use a variac, an AC ammeter along with an inline fuse .  You know what the primary voltage is and the corresponding secondary voltage.  Just scale down from that once the turns ratio is know and "tickle" the primary with some fused low voltage and measure the corresponding secondary voltage.  If the voltage ratio is correct based on the turns ratio the transformer is probably good.  The only other issue is a breakdown within the transformer that does not show up with the low voltage applied.  Make sure if the transformer has been stored in less than a great place that you bake the transformer first.  An oven works good as long as your wife is not using it!!  If you have a good sunny day placing it on a driveway will bake it nicely.  Hy Pot testers are great buy many do not have them.  An old oil burner ignition transformer current limited under variac control works well.     

Joe, W3GMS

I like Joe’s suggestion – particularly using the lower voltage and calculating the output winding based on turns ratio.  As stated by a previous post, a resistance check would not help with shorted turns or a insulation breakdown.

A quick check I used for my failed AL-82 power transformer was to use a 60 watt bulb in series in conjunction with a Variac.  No breakdown = dim light bulb.  A breakdown = sporadic flashing of light bulb as the breakdown occurs and transformer recovers from the reduced voltage applied to primary due to light bulb.  You might even hear the arc if you have a good set of ears – I did.

Al
k5ygc

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »

Thanks guys for all your help.I was asking for a friend and know he thinks it might be a relay.He is tripping the overload and blowing a fuse even with the rectifiers disconnected. Will keep you posted. Thanks Mark K5YGC
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »

Thanks guys for all your help.I was asking for a friend and know he thinks it might be a relay.He is tripping the overload and blowing a fuse even with the rectifiers disconnected. Will keep you posted. Thanks Mark K5YGC

If the rectifiers are removed, a shorted turn within the transformer will trip the overload quite quickly!   

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KE6DF

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »

One thing I've done with old plate transformers is to hook a filament transformer up to put a low AC voltage into the primary, and then check the output voltage and see if it's correct based on the transformer ratio.

Select the filament tranny to output about 120v from the secondary.

They I hook an incandescent light bulb to the secondary. Select the wattage of the light bulb so the secondary current we be near the maximum rating of the transformer.

Then let that setup run for several hours. The transformer windings are drawing their rated max current and the transformer should get slightly warm, but not hot.

My thinking is this will drive out moisture within the windings without subjecting the transformer to high voltage.

Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015