The AM Forum
June 01, 2024, 11:46:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you believe it ! Pheonix deja vu  (Read 2498 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/MyStory/heathkit.html?sp_rid=MjMzNjE2MDQ5NzIS1&sp_mid=5673254

Heath computer revival.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »

Yeah, and perhaps it's time to dig out the old Commadore 128D
along with the two extra daisy changed drives and monitor and
load the CP/M OS or the native Commadore OS...

Somewhere in this maze I call home I have a box full of programs
for the C-64 and C/D-128 along with my old back-up floppies...

Back in '85 while working on a NYCTA project, I wrote the acceptance
testing procedure used by the TA  for 105 new GE dual base stations
(we {F & M Comm} had a contract to replace the 20 year old radio
system) in the subway system on a C-64 from Crazy Eddies (remember
him, he did time for fraud...) in Queens.  Oh yeah, working on that
project I became a reluctant card carrying member of IBEW#3.

Dem were da days...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »

Ralph

I have all my Commode stuff including a VIC-20 that I used for RTTY and CW, a C64 and a couple of C128's.  I used the 64 and 128 for some pretty good productivity programs.  Did you ever mess with the word proc called FLEET?  I have all of my extensive disks including the Compute Gazette mags and the disks that went along with that excellent Commode periodical.

I haven't found a RTTY / CW program that matched the one I used on the VIC-20 for the PC - not even close.  I even ran a message storage 2 meter system that was popular locally

Memories, Al

Oh yeah, I two each 1541 and 1571 disk drives.  Forgot the SX 64 Commode in a suitcase, remember that?  Still works
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »

Crazy Eddie's telephone number 645 1196
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:30:40 PM »

I'm not sure "Commodore" and "H-8" belong in the same sentence, but they are both useful even today, and lots of fun. I had the beasts on which the H8 was patterned. The PDP-8. 5 of them. The PDP8 was the first personal computer. Only $15-20K and it would fit on a desk. Personal meaning a computer that was affordable enough for one person (umm, a scientist?)  to have more or less exclusive use of. It was a radical departure from the hugely expensive mainframes of IBM, although naturally not as powerful within its compaq dimensions. The H8 was a true modernization, putting the PDP-8 central processing unit into one IC chip. And maybe upping the clock from 100KHz to some higher figure 8-). Somewhere I have the schematics for the pdp8e unit. It can be built from common logic and arithmetic ICs, assuming such trivial commodities are still made. There are FPGAs I suppose.. The pdp8i was an earlier unit, having no ICs. It had hundreds of boards with a few transistors on each one. The backplane and bus ran both positive and negative signals. It was truly a beautiful instrument.

Radio Candelstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015