The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:40:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QIX MOD MONITOR VIDEO  (Read 7407 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« on: July 30, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »

A happy customer using one of Steve's latest enhancements.

Some of you may not like how it's being used but it does show it in operation and I have found no other like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNv6NP1uvMM&feature=youtube_gdata_player 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 04:15:12 PM »

Very impressed with Steve's box, but is that a Ham at the controls?   Sounds like a good buddy op!

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »

even if it's a Good Buddy, maybe they'll learn about over modulation and the distortion and interference they cause with "every-knob fully-clockwise" and make nice sounding A.M.
It was impressive to see his pos peaks slamming the meter.

Fred KC4MOP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »

Sure would be a lot of detected distortion the way he was running it on a typical diode detector.  At least he was not cutting off the carrier. 

To me, the good part was seeing Steve's mod monitor work so well and it shows its compatible with all type of op's. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »

Amazing so much modulation the carrier is obliterated by the peaks. Even the low frequencies of the voice are smashed away. For those with diode detectors it might get harsh. Make them inject some carrier. I don't care how it is being used but happy to see it running.

The thing that I do not like about computer stuff in the shack is the desk space the displays eat up Its easy to rackmount or hide the computer box but the monitor is forever in the way. Same for external mod scopes, meters, etc. placed randomly where the cables seem to begin and end. (not an indictment of the station shown. I prefer everything in racks. vee vill haff ordah!).

See the potential of one of those industrial LCD monitor-PCs of the right width to fit a tall transmitter rack for the built in appearance. There's often a blank-ish panel behind which is the little stuff like bias supply or controllers. In a 6-7 FT tall transmitter or amp, where is that panel? Usually under the RF deck or above it

Good showing of the demo on the mod monitor.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:44:30 PM »

I found it interesting that a CB enthusiast from the south-western desert was socking something that sounded like "Yallos" and said he was "whirlwide."    I wonder where he picked that up?   Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:37 PM »

There is clearly a negative peak limiter of some type operating.  The negative peaks are hitting a brick wall, and the only way that can happen is with some kind of negative peak limiting (clipping).

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »

Question:

Will this device be of any use on other than AM, i.e. SSB?

This video may convince me to pull the trigger on one of these gadgets. My TEK 465 takes up an awful lot of space.

tnx for sharing.

Philip KA4KOE

The concept of "overmodulation" doesn't really exist in SSB.  It's more a function of exceeding the capabilities of the system and generating distortion (flattopping, etc.).  Most people who get a monitor are very surprised to see how much they are really overmodulating in the negative direction.  It is very hard to see small peaks on a scope unless it has storage capabilities.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »

Just ordered one. Will additional skins be offered in the future?

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »

The concept of "overmodulation" doesn't really exist in SSB.  It's more a function of exceeding the capabilities of the system and generating distortion (flattopping, etc.).  Most people who get a monitor are very surprised to see how much they are really overmodulating in the negative direction.  It is very hard to see small peaks on a scope unless it has storage capabilities.

Hi Steve,

Question:

When running a modified ricebox on AM, (or Flex) one that will pass 0-10Khz easily with a perfect waveform - it will produce DSB AM with the little negative wavelets when the positive peaks are over 100% due to the balanced modulator.

Now, how does the monitor display the negative peaks considering they are wavelets, not a clipped negative peaks?

IE, if the two rigs were running 150% positive,  is there a difference in the monitor's displayed performance when it comes across a standard AM NPL vs: a balanced modulator?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »

Hi Tom,

The monitor will show 100% negative modulation at any time where there is an aggregate instantaneous 0W output from the transmitter.  If the wavelets are really significant, there will be a carrier shift because the average output voltage, averaged over time will actually increase.  A lot of folks are using the monitor with Flex radios, and everything plays very nicely.

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 07:27:02 PM »

Just ordered one. Will additional skins be offered in the future?

Probably!  It will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with any new "skins" for the mod monitor.  Currently, the meter faces and movements are sacred, but everything that is not an actual meter face or movement (with a few minor exceptions) could be changed or replaced with a new "skin".

This should evolve over time.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »

what, is there a development kit or config file and image for the skins?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »

I love the huge Ampex 350 type meters on the front and no lag whatsoever on the 'movements' and bar graphs. Nice!

Fred KC4MOP
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »

Just received my monitor today. Is there a download link for the software?

tnx

Philip

PS Works dandy with no installation issues.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015