The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:51:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noisy choke laminations - glue suggestions?  (Read 4727 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: July 19, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »

Hi,

I have an open frame power supply choke that has a tab that runs through the core that came unglued from the laminations. It's now happily buzzing away like a grade school science project. Anyone have any suggestions for hardware store type adhesives strong enough to bond the loose tab and the laminations back together? I can make the buzzing stop by wrapping black electrical tape around the tab, but I'd rather glue it down for a more permanent fix.

Thanks,

Rob W1AEX

* buzzing choke.jpg (95.09 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 384 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »

Hi Rob

How're you holding up in this hot wx?  Timmy HLR is experienced in this cure.  I won't pretend to know the specifics but he uses some sort of varnish and a process that gets it into the windings and lams

Al
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »

Hi Al,

My wife and I have retreated to the radio/computer/hdtv/arcade room which is kept icy by the big A/C window shaker. I send her out for food and beverages and she keeps coming back so it's all good! My guess is that your new station setup is comfortable and well provisioned to allow easy living until our Canadian friends send that nice cool front down from the north country later today.

I remember Timmy describing a process for potted transformers that involved baking it in the oven with your Thanksgiving turkey but this choke should be fairly simple to work with as the tab and laminations are visible and easily accessed. There's probably a lot of adhesives that would work fine but I figured the resourceful group here would have experience with a fool-proof adhesive before I started experimenting like a fool.

:O)

WB2CAU

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »

How about mixing up a dab or two of slow curing epoxy (not the 5 min variety) and holding the tab in place with a C-clamp for 24 hours or so?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
WZ1M

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 03:40:38 AM »

A wood wedge will do the job.
Regards,
Gary
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »

Glyptal HV paint. Don't know where you can purchase it in your area but I have used in the past with great results.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »

http://www.glyptal.com/Glyptal_Product_Data_Sheets.htm

Also look at Temco products. Kinda pricey but you may not need much. Saw some on ebay, $20.00 for a 4oz bottle.

RSWL..................
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »

Thanks for the good ideas and product recommendations. The next time I open it up I'll apply one of these fixes to it. Another idea was sent along in a private message that was intriguing. The recommendation was to grab a piece of aluminum stock, cut it and drill it out so it could be positioned to run along the top and be secured by the two bolts running through the laminations. That might be a very simple fix. Then again, a nice JS fix would be to use Eric's clamp idea and just leave the clamp in there. Yeah, simple, cheap, and it would catch the tabs on both sides. Kinda like a mechanical clip-lead.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Rob W1AEX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015