The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 05:08:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have we come full circle?  (Read 8793 times)
K7NCR

« on: July 15, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »

I found this in the Sunday Best Buy ads:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-E6730W/ZA-features
Home theater with tube amp!
REALLY?  Shocked
Norm

K7 Norms Classic Radio
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »

Really!   Wink

* full-circle.jpg (96.88 KB, 968x505 - viewed 519 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »

Reminds me of the "digital" bandwagon.

Marketing people got ahold of the word and applied it as part of the sales pitch regardless of whether there was a basis.  Digital TV antennas.

Next up:  Vacuum Tube Refrigerators !!!

In this case, for $1000 (street price half that), I would expect to know what kind of tubes are in the thing.  Looks like 12AX7, sure, but they don't say.  I downloaded the user manual, and it is mute about the tubes. No mention at all, in 65 pages.

Maybe it's one of those dummy tubes with the LED behind it.  Among the reviews on Amazon, someone already suspects that because they light up too quickly -- huh-HA!-- someone has a good eye.

I had a few minutes so I brought up the Samsung Live Chat. The person could not find any information on the tubes, and suggested I call the U.S. supplier of spare parts for Samsung to find out.

Nice.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »

Sorry it doesn't have a black plate...or a blue glow to the Pube.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »

I still swear by "Color TV Tuner Cleaner"!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »

Tube pictures look like 12A*7, or maybe the triode side of a 6GH8A. Doesn't impress me too much because the tube sound I like comes from a push pull stage. I won't dismiss it though. Ok, someone contact Samsung and ask the schematic for approval or analysis. They should not have anything to hide. Tube circuits are not exactly intellectual property. Beware in one other piece of audio gear boasting a tube stage, only the filaments were connected.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:47:55 AM »

It's probably IC's and cutting edge electronics and the last device in the chain is a tube for audio to come to our ears.....That's not nice smooth analog tube sound.
I guess the tube removes that digital edge and smooths out the audio.

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:00:01 AM »

What's the data rate on the noise from digital audio anyway? 48KHz?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »

Link didn't quite work so used this one:

http://www.samsung.com/us/2012-vacuum-tube-amplifier/

RICK  *W3RSW*
KA3EKH

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »

Wonder how long it will be before Yeasu or Icom stuff a 12AX7 into one of their top end amateur radio transceivers? That will give you that warm competitive audio to blast right thru DX pileups? Or somehow integrate a triode into a SDR setup? Maybe a tube audio amplifier for your PC speakers with a 12AX7 and a couple 6AQ5 tubes and there you go with a sweet sounding tube amplifier for your PC. The 12AX7 appears to be staging some sort of comeback and must still be in production so I have to wonder can I now get big money for my NOS 12AX7 that were produced back in the “Golden Age” of tubes?, wonder if Western Electric churned out any 12AX7 tubes? They would be worth a fortune.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »

Wonder how long it will be before Yeasu or Icom stuff a 12AX7 into one of their top end amateur radio transceivers? That will give you that warm competitive audio to blast right thru DX pileups?

There's no reason to have "warm competitive audio" to blast thru DX pileups.

Or somehow integrate a triode into a SDR setup? Maybe a tube audio amplifier for your PC speakers with a 12AX7 and a couple 6AQ5 tubes and there you go with a sweet sounding tube amplifier for your PC.

Several years ago a PC sound card marker integrated a tube into its circuitry. As far as I know, it never caught on.

The 12AX7 appears to be staging some sort of comeback and must still be in production so I have to wonder can I now get big money for my NOS 12AX7 that were produced back in the “Golden Age” of tubes?, wonder if Western Electric churned out any 12AX7 tubes? They would be worth a fortune.

The 12AX7 doesn't need to stage a comeback; it never left. Tube guitar amps are still in vogue. Western Electric never made a 12AX7. A feel for 12AX7 pricing depending on manufacturer: http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12ax7.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »

A feel for 12AX7 pricing depending on manufacturer: http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12ax7.html

It's official. I'm rich. Thanks for the link Pete.

I'm moving immediately to a real radio location with 4 phase power.

You all will be hearing from me.
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

A feel for 12AX7 pricing depending on manufacturer: http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12ax7.html

It's official. I'm rich. Thanks for the link Pete.

<snip>

Me too!  Glad I rescued those 12AX7 / ECC83s from the dumpster   Grin
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »

Well.  I guess I'll just have to haul my three gross of Mullard Lion ax7's to the dump to keep up the price for you boys.  ...an inverse Bernake moment.  Grin

I've already diamond drilled holes in the bottom of twenty or so and installed 20 ma blues. Don't want to tax those USB ports, doncha know.  I figure about $999.99 per amp. stage, but may have to drop that a bit since gold has trended somewhat down lately.

Of corpse they'll be dead on arrival but I have an updated insert referring the audio aficianados to software updates. 

Anyone know where I can obtain some African mahogany or prime Burled walnut?
I want to make some killer bases.  Will have 14 hand rubbed coats of Mahogany lacquer and will be named "The Royal Urn."

Need 18kt gold fittings and jacks too. The 24k's were to soft and tended to guild the Lilly.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 11:05:38 AM »

Rick -- three words:

Elephant Tusk Futures.

I can get you in on the ground floor.*

Everyone is using them for buttons on high end audio gear.

*With a nod to the movie "It's a Wonderful Life."
K7NCR

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

I noticed in their site they have a tube amp I-pod dock. I wonder what Steve Jobs would think?  Huh

K7 Norms Classic Radio
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 12:00:17 PM »

I spent a few minutes looking for the "teck" information. Garbage. Nothing but Glam and Garbage. The information may be in there, But I wasn't going to find it. Maybee LG will come out with an amp?

klc

What? Me worry?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »

Paul, I take it you meant the "Vintage Ivory Knob Inserts?"

I understand that ivory is verboten unless you can prove it's from pre-banned era.
This makes it even more valuable of course having undocumented knobs,  ..um hmm.

"Did he or didn't he?" Wonders your jealous audipphool buddy as you show off your latest tricked out acquisition.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015