The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If I didn't need the money so darn bad, I wouldn't put up with this,,,  (Read 13535 times)
AE1CT
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 01:20:46 AM »

I KNOW THE FEELING, I SHOP AROUND ON VARIOUS SITES TO LOOK FOR A DECENT AM TRANSMITTER AND ALL I SEE ARE PRICES THAT ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD. HOW CAN SOMEONE SELL SOMETHING FOR 10X THE ORIGANAL PRICE AND THEN WHEN THEY DONT GET WHAT THEY ARE ASKING THEY SIT BACK AND BITCH ABOUT HOW CHEAP PEOPLE ARE. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE HONEST FAIR PRICE, IF YOU PAID $200. FOR SOMETHING DONT TRY AND SELL IT FOR $600. JUST BECAUSE ITS NOT MADE ANYMORE DOESNT MAKE IT A RARE ITEM. IVE SEEN RANGERS GO FOR AS HIGH AS $1,000. JUST BEACUSE THE GUY CHANGED ALL THE CAPS DOESNT MEAN IT WORTH THAT MUCH. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT HAMS WERE A DECENT BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO HELP OUT OTHERS TO GET ON THE AIR NOT RIP THEM OFF. JUST BECAUSE THEY THINK SOMETHING IS WORTH THIER PRICE DOESNT MAKE IT SO. IM TIRED OF HEARING PEOPLE SAY THATS MY PRICE AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GO SOMEPLACE ELSE, YEA LIKE A PERSON ON A FIXED INCOME CAN GO OUT AND BUY RADIO'S AT THESE CRAZY PRICES. STOP TRYING TO MAKE MILLIONS ON SOMETHING THATS ONLY WORTH A COUPLE OF  HUNDRED.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »

Overseas buyers have fewer shipping options open to them these days because the USPS discontinued the Surface Parcel Post service a few years back.  Since then nothing goes by slow boat and the cheapest option is gone.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »

Last week I offered for sale on EBay several camera lenses, filters, flash, etc for my old Olympus OM-10 film camera. I was going to toss them in the trash but a friend suggested maybe someone could use them and that I could list them on EBay. Figuring I had nothing to lose I listed the bunch starting at 99 cents. Clearly stated in the description shipping was to US only.

Sure enough, the high bid came through from a bidder in China. I emailed him his bid was not accepted as I stated US sales only. I then found a spot on the EBay site to cancel the transaction.

UNREAL - EBay wants their full percentage of the final bid price unless the bidder agrees within x days to cancel the transaction! What kind of ripoff is that? I don't get paid, don't ship (obviously) and EBay makes their piece. On top of that they take a bite from the shipping charges also. 

I did re-list the lenses but doubt I will be listing anything there again.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »

ALL I SEE ARE PRICES THAT ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Ebay is a different world. It is not ham radio or a swap meet. It is a place where people expect to make money. These are thousands of hams out there ebay or not that consider ham radio a money making opportunity. For example there are people who sell manuals, others who sell QSL cards and hams who sell antennas and the list goes on. Most of these people provide a valuable service and with out them, we would be lost if we needed a certain manual for example. If I had a complaint it would be those who set up at a ham fest and when you ask them for a better price, they say they could get more on eBay. But then you have to realize these people who do set up at ham fests are probably doing it more for the camaraderie, than a profit. I mean you have to pack up all that junk, rent a place to sell it, repack what doesn't sell and take it home. I did it just one time and I took about 1000 pounds of iron and other things and ended up selling about 1000 golf balls for $35.00 and a couple NOS small transformers for $20.00. So I totaled $55.00  and my costs were about $100.00. Ebay is easier, I don't have to touch the stuff until it's sold.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »

Sure enough, the high bid came through from a bidder in China. I emailed him his bid was not accepted as I stated US sales only. I then found a spot on the EBay site to cancel the transaction.

It's not a big deal to sell to China, the shipping is higher and you need to fill out a customs form but they pay well and I have never had a problem with overseas buyers. At least 40% of my sales are overseas. BTW, I am just a small seller with less that $2500 yearly sales but since I am on a fixed income, it pays a few bills. It also gives me something to do while I am waiting to die Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015