The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:09:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HV power supply regulation  (Read 2557 times)
KD8PIQ

« on: June 27, 2013, 01:00:04 AM »

I picked up a transformer some time back, and was trying to figure what i can build with it.

Any ideas?

Here is the info on it:

GE JVM-4, w/fuses. Cat: 764X20G49
Data:
http://site.ge-energy.com/prod_serv/products/metering/en/downloads/jvm_4_5.pdf

Pic's:
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/ukv894/library/GE%20JVM-4?sort=3&page=1

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again. James R. Cook.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »

That is what is usually known as a "PT", or potential transformer.

They are used in switchboards for voltage metering, as most voltmeters in that service are 0-150V and are scaled via that type trans for the voltage measured.

They are typically high reactance, and not good for a lot of Wattage.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »

4200V 600VA - 143mA
7200V 1200VA - 167mA

Half the power once it gets good and hot.

It's true these are not so great for plate units. Used well within ratings, might be OK. If I were to use it for anything, it would be HV for a SSB amplifier or other low duty cycle application. They can be used with a bridge.

I have a nice 2400V 1KVA looking just like that which I use at work to test sending powerline modem signals through difficult transformers.

I gave three 2400V 500VA ones to my Tesla coiling friend one for each 833! Because of their good insulation between windings, they are also useful for the primary supply for tube type self-rectifying Tesla coils.

The duncamps.com PSUD program might simulate it, but with this kind the best way to check regulation is going to be a real load.

The remaining question would be, what can you do with 4200VAC and a bridge, that will take <200mA average? Can't use much of a bleeder since current is low. That is a tough call because modern tubes are lower voltage, higher current. Choke input and Eimac tubes like the 4-65 to 4-400, the 152T, 100T etc. might take the voltage around 3800V or so and make high peak powers.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD8PIQ

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:16 AM »

Very useful information, thank you guys.  I guess I will let it sit for a few more years, until a use pop's up.

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again. James R. Cook.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015