The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:42:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dust bunnies AND..  (Read 4110 times)
W2NBC
Contributing

« on: June 12, 2013, 10:29:17 PM »

Ok... This all started while innocently cleaning out the monthly dust bunnies that accumulate around relays, XLR and control cables, originally and "neatly" run around and about the floor in one area of the shack.. As I started to look, REALLY look at the mess of wires, some of them tangled and scattered, I went in.. Yes, I went in, and one by one broke down the entire mess.. and now, after tracing and scratching my head wondering "why did I do that?", It's TIME to do it right..
 We all know WHY it gets like this.. additions, subtractions, re-routing, all in the name of convenience and expediency make a MESS ..I have decided to label numerically all cables and connections . The next step and MOST importantly,  is to " blueprint" and draw up a room schematic to easily find and troubleshoot stuff that happens.. and it happens ALL the time! Just think, as we age and accumulate all this junk.. the homebrew outboard interfaces, transmitters, and audio stuff and the unthinkable happens: your wife, partner, or family has a mini hamfest with all your gear... How nice would it be for all your buds to pick up a copy of your studio schematic and get the picture of why and how..

BTW - copies will be available in a folder on the back of the station door..

Yours in amplitude,
W2NBC

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »

I understand fully, Jessie..

It is painful rewiring it all, but, oh, what a relief when you look at the new, neat station.

After 10-20 years of changes, it can become a rat's nest behind the rigs.  I have a narrow corridor behind the rigs and recently tore it all down and rewired it too.  You probably remember "Disco Duck"  and "Dick the Bruiser."  These are the new control units.

Good luck with the project, OM.   Might as well do it in the summer when activity is lower.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:41:59 AM »

I'm doing almost the same here. Summer is catch-up time and finish left-over projects and paper-work put in proper folders.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:03:43 AM »

If it ain't broke......................

* 3ff063f162793b7a7786a9a3978cacbe.jpg (65.07 KB, 500x667 - viewed 463 times.)
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »

If it ain't broke......................

QUICK! Steve (QIX), Pass Roland a cliplead!  Grin
WZ5Q

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:26:04 AM »

A few Dust Bunnies in my "Rats Nest".
Absolutely no RFI.  Grin

* rats nest1.jpg (339.53 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 360 times.)

* rats nest2.jpg (449.64 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 350 times.)

* rats nest3.jpg (332.72 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 347 times.)

Mike
WZ5Q
From Deep Down in the Dark Dismal Swamps of the Calcasieu
http://www.wz5q.net
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »

Jeff,

I commend you for your effort! It's one of those projects that I intend to take a pass on. No one ever ventures into my little "walk behind" maintenance corridor except for me, and I know exactly where everything goes (cough cough). I did, however, make a station inventory of equipment that I update annually for my wife should I suddenly vacate the planet.

The picture of my little ongoing station wiring adventure says it all. Nothing to see here, move along...

Rob W1AEX

* W1AEX station wiring behind the console.jpg (135.21 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 312 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »

Dust bunnies. I know everything about all types of dust bunnies.

People with vanity calls can't possibly know much about dust bunnies. You guys.... Wait.....never mind.

I have a dust bunny project on the bench right now. Hundreds of hams are using the same dust bunny design I have perfected.

I get dust bunnies in here all the time.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »

Some nice shots of those shack (hidden places) that only we have the secret code rings for..  Grin

As some people say,  "No one ever ventures into my little "walk behind" maintenance corridor except for me"..

Now I know WHY.. happy dust bunnies!

* W1AEX WAY behind the console.jpg (182.99 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 395 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015