The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: March 2013 price survey of eBay Completed Auctions of ham gear  (Read 3154 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:17 AM »

March 2013 survey of eBay Completed Auctions of ham gear

disclaimer:
Here are the top selling prices for the gear in question, as well as the over-the-top, non-selling, "I don't care who you are, THAT is funny!" prices.

There are some surprises in here that seem to invert this rule totally. Consider that an honest disclosure of a minor fault on model X for $350 may drive a buyer to pay $500 for one screaming "MINT !!!!!" with no such honest disclosure(s). Old stuff sometimes has hidden faults, which can say?

No attempt was made to judge condition or "seller honesty/claims" other than seeming "completeness" and non-junk condition of the item in question.

This is not a buying guide as we know online auction prices are often higher than they would be in a personal deal, and may be influenced by many unseen factors right and wrong. There is/was a similar set of info on the www but its updating is not known to me. 2 is better than one anyway.

This is merely a simple sanitized report to which I hope to add equipment each month or so.
If I forgot brands and makers, let me know.

* ebay ham gear prices.pdf (55.97 KB - downloaded 458 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »

Nice job...I've not seen a similar list like this before...Thanks for taking the time to do this....Informative.   
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »

If anything ever shows up on there from them, you can add Harvey Wells and Central Electronics to that list.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:55:20 AM »

Looks like a month has stretched out to 2. Working on an update.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »

Many thanks. bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »

This kind of thing is good info.  I track price/value of things I own -- so my heirs won't be tempted to sell the entire radio room contents to a shyster for $50, and to have some general notion of value if I actually decide to part with something.  I realize there are a lot of folks who don't take eBay prices as a mark of "value".  There are certainly outliers.  But a mean price developed over a long enough time (year? two?) for something is a reasonable measure.  At least more reasonable than the anecdote from the guy who landed 10 NIB 75A4's at a garage sale for $25 each, etc. Heck, I still think I might find a Johnson 500 sitting by the curb with a big FREE JUNK sign on it Wink

And it helps when taking something to a fest.  If you think about what the NET proceeds of a sale are, all things considered (e.g. fees, packing materials, labor, sweat) you're lucky if you take away 80% of an eBay sale price in net revenue.  Gives a reasonable starting point (or stopping point) for what break-even would be in another venue -- give or take how badly you want to sell it, or how badly you want to come off another $50 so the potential buyer "has enough money left to buy dinner for his wife/girlfriend/mother", etc.  You know the drill ...

So thanks for keeping track of this stuff.  I know it's a PITA to do it ... Boneyard Bluebook, Joe Tracker's and others have stopped updating.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015